Patching a Plastic Watering Can

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
So I have been using plastic watering cans and a wheelbarrow to get out to the far reaches of my property to water the trees I am trying to establish. I am using this method mostly because I don't have a hose long enough, but also because I hate fighting with hoses over long distances. I bought several watering cans about a year ago for this purpose, but now they are starting to wear out on the bottom and now two of them are leaking.

As much as I like to save money, and hate to throw things away, I honestly would just go out and buy new watering cans, except for the fact that ALL of the watering cans I could find were poorly designed. The one I actually had to laugh at was shaped like a water pitcher (no handle on top) and if I had to carry it any distance I would get a serious case of carpal tunnel! The others I found were just clumbsy looking. So I guess I really like the sleek watering can models that I already have.

I need to patch my watering cans. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about it? My two thoughts right now are 1. the ever-handy duct tape applied to the inside, or 2. a piece of chewing gum pressed inside and left to dry on a hot day. Anyone want to guess which would work better or have a better suggestion?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I guess my best suggestion would be to poprivet, or (better) bolt with large washers, two plastic patches onto the hole, one on the inside and one on the outside, with a big glorp of silicone caulk on both sides before you poprivet or bolt the thing tight. (e.t.a. - so that it is like a club sandwich, you know? with caulk between both sets of layers?)

Patches on plastic are seldom really satisfying in the long term, though, so hopefully you will come across a better source of Good watering cans in the interim, and if you do, buy *several* ;)

Although, really all you need is ONE good watering can -- the best way IMHO to transport water over significant distances is in those square-but-tall plastic buckets that cat litter comes in, because they pack well (being square not round) and have fairly snug-fitting LIDS. Then you can tip each into your watering can once you get to your destination.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thank you Pat!

That was a very detailed reply. :) I will consider your method of patching, although, to be honest, I am not sure I want to invest that much labor in the patch.

Your alternative method of transport is more intriguing to me. I had thought about buckets, but the typical 5 gal cylindrical bucket was what came to mind and jostling that around in a wheelbarrow did not sound like fun to me. So I really like your cat litter bucket idea. I will have to stock up on cat litter, I think. Thank you for the suggestion! :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a friend with something called a Plastic Welder. It works when putting the plastic's back together on the kids quads and motor bikes. I am going to see if he can patch a couple holes in my gamma seal lids. Damn rat!!! Basically just melts the area. maybe something like that would work.

You know, I know this sounds weird. But do you have one of those "as seen on tv" aisles at your local drug store? The other day I saw that magic putty there. The kind that is two colors and you mix together. Then it will seal anything water pipes and all. Not sure how much you get or what it cost though. Might work.

Good luck!! :D

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If you only have the round 5gal buckets, you can prevent massive spillage when transporting water in a wheelbarrow by lining each bucket with a plastic bag. Knot the top after you fill it with water - it does not have to be leakproof, just havin the water 'more or less' confined in the bag prevents about 90+% of the sloshing and spilling. The bags can be reused for quite a long time.

I transported a whole lot of tadpoles and fish in teh back of my stationwagon this way back in grad school, with not *too* much water damage to the car bed to show for it :)

Pat

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thanks, TanksHill. I had thought about using that adhesive stuff that you can buy to hang stuff on the wall, but the magic putty sounds like it would work better.

I think I still prefer your idea about the cat litter buckets, Pat. :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Test one with the epoxy putty first, if that's what you want to do -- IME epoxies work unreliably at best on plastics, depending I guess on what particular plastic it is.

Pat

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
OK, Pat, when I get to the store I will look for the stuff. If I can't find it I am tempted to try chewing gum. My intuitive side seems to think it would be a sure bet. LOL

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
OK, Pat, when I get to the store I will look for the stuff. If I can't find it I am tempted to try chewing gum. My intuitive side seems to think it would be a sure bet. LOL
Don't forget to rough up the area that you are going to patch. It gives the epoxy something to grip on to.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thanks, that is true BBH. I will clean it and then rub it with sandpaper or something.