Patching a Plastic Watering Can

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
When I planted trees during a dry, dry summer a few years ago, I used five gallon pails to water them. I used a piece of small tubing from the hardware store, and used it to siphon the water slowly from the bucket and to the ground near the tree. A rock at each end of the tubing held it in place while I did other things. I did it this way so that the water would (hopefully) get into the soil deeply, and not run off the surface. I also did it this way because I am impatient, and this way I could set up each bucket and walk away. And each tree could get five gallons with less effort and time on my part. You can get lids for your buckets if you don't want to use the very cool trash bag idea!

I have a feeling you will be patching and re-patching those watering cans....:/

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thanks, Freemotion. I agree. The watering cans will wear out sooner or later. Cheap plastic . . . made in China, no doubt. They were bought as a temporary measure.

I actually do have a set of 5 gal buckets with holes drilled in the bottom for watering the trees and the method works great . . . though I do have to wet the soil surface first or it will all run off. I fill the buckets with the watering cans, because that is easy for me and I was using the watering cans anyway on other plants. I will eventually switch over to a hose on the other plants, once my trees are older than 2 years. Can't happen soon enough!

I think I will switch to the cat litter buckets for transporting the water.