Patty pan squash

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've got access to patty pan squash, about 5" across, for 10 cents a pound. What can I do with 'em?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Treat them as any squash
They are squash..>LOL
freeze for later definitely. they freeze well

Also use them as bowls. I can slightly cut the top and angle cut, fill with any stuffing you desire and bake. Eat it all.
Yum

good deal!

farm_mom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
They can be used just as you would yellow squash. I like to slice them, so they're pretty flower-esque design shows through. Great for stir-fries, gratins etc....

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We had an over abundance of Patty pan squash this year. I got this great recipe on BYC from "jaruca" for Zucchini Crisp. I substituted the patty pan for the zucchini and peeled only the larger squash. It is sooo yummy!

ZUCCHINI CRISP

5 c. zucchini, peeled, seeded & sliced
1/3 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 c. lemon juice
3/4 c. water

Cook above ingredients for 10 minutes. Place in a 9" square ungreased pan.

TOPPING:

6 tbsp. butter
1 c. flour
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix topping ingredients until crumbly. Sprinkle over zucchini and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serves 6 to 8 people. Tastes like apple crisp.

I have also dehydrated many of the squash so that I can toss it into soup or rehydrate for the Crisp recipe this winter.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I tried that recipe last week, my family (all kids incl) loved it. I did it w/ zuchini though. Once I told DH it was zuchini instead of apples in there, he stopped eating it and didn't like it anymore. :rolleyes: (after he'd already inhaled half a bowl full) I should've never told him!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
VT-chichlit- I have tried dehydrating gooseneck squash and unlike winter squash, it crumbled to dusty nothing even though I sliced it thicker than I normally do.
What did you do to have success with this?

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I slice the patty pan squash about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick, I also scoop out the seeds before I slice the squash. The squash come out a little brittle but they do not crumble. I try to keep the thickness closer to 1/4 than to 1/8. I takes longer (about 24 hours) but the pieces are more stable. I have a 1 gallon jar filled with the squash. I compress what is in the jar to fit more in and have had no problems.

Latest posts