payoff.com?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Saw an ad for a website called payoff.com
The concept sounds like fun - the site helps you track all of your finances and helps you to set goals and organize your money, but it starts with developing goals and dreams and then creating the budget around them, rather than trying to create a budget first and dream later. It makes a bit of a game out of it, and tosses in a social media concept while they are at it.
I'm attracted to this because I can play games very well, but somehow working our finances isn't so easy.
The part that has me concerned is that they request the account numbers and passwords for the websites of the financial institutions that you have accounts with.

Anybody use this site? Have any reviews? Anybody else as freaked out about giving another website their important details?!
Anybody got any other ideas on how to have my cake and eat it to??? We could use some (fun!) assistance getting ourselves organized to reach our dreams!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Personally, I would not use any site that asked for that information. Why would they need it?

hqueen13

Reaction score
It is set up so that they track your spending and help you keep all of your money organized in one place. It is a good idea, like I said, but the concept also makes me nervous... nobody but me needs to know that kind of stuff.
I wish I knew a way to recreate that for my own benefit without the help.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I would NOT use it. They don't need to know your accounts and passwords. I could be wrong, but to me it sounds like they're trying to get info so they can steal people's IDs.

hqueen13

Reaction score
That's my leaning. Disappointing, really.
I even tried looking up reviews of the site and couldn't find any people reviews.
Oh well.

babymakes6

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Have you heard of mint.com? It is the same concept, including the passwords, but it is a secure, reputable site. I have an account there, but don't use it much. I have had it for over a year, and never any problems. It did make me nervous at first, but I heard a lot about it from Clark Howard, so it reassured me.

hqueen13

Reaction score
I have heard of it, but haven't explored it. Thanks for the recommendation!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
acct #s and passwords wanted to use that site.

NO WAY

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use a spreadsheet with different pages so I can put my spending into different categories in Excel...

I wouldn't give ANY third party site the passwords and account numbers for my bank... I can track my spending myself pretty easily, it just takes a bit of setting up and then it's a piece of cake.

Latest posts