payoff.com?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it never happened to me but a few on this site said they got caught in identity type fraud.....and they stressed what a nightmare it was to get out of it and get back to normal living in their finances.

wow I never want that to happen to me but it is becoming more and more prevelant. yikes

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
I use a spreadsheet with different pages so I can put my spending into different categories in Excel...

I wouldn't give ANY third party site the passwords and account numbers for my bank... I can track my spending myself pretty easily, it just takes a bit of setting up and then it's a piece of cake.
Our trouble is sticking with it and being diligent in our tracking. Neither one of us are very good at it, and I am POSITIVE we are over spending in a lot of areas that we would rather not, but we're just not aware of it. Thankfully we've redoubled our efforts into eating the food we buy and not eating out, so that has helped, but that doesn't solve the tracking issue.

I guess we've got to just sit down and figure it out. I would love if there was someone to help us sort things out and keep us on track, but that isn't easy to find either.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I never 'write' a budget.
I know me. never would I fill in the blanks.
if you are that type it would work well.

but me, I go by memory and seat of my pants on bills etc :barnie
which is good for me but might not be good for others lol

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Keep all receipts, total the check book registry...religiously...keep a bill journal. I had 4 accounts, in 3 different states, for a long time. Bank accounts. I write everything on the statement..."date, check #, bank, amount, etc"...before I would file them in the "paid" files.
Now, I just have 3 bills...much easier to manage.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
in my 50 years on this earth I never balanced a checkbook LOL
I just let it happen. :gig

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
hwillm1977 said:
I use a spreadsheet with different pages so I can put my spending into different categories in Excel...

I wouldn't give ANY third party site the passwords and account numbers for my bank... I can track my spending myself pretty easily, it just takes a bit of setting up and then it's a piece of cake.
Our trouble is sticking with it and being diligent in our tracking. Neither one of us are very good at it, and I am POSITIVE we are over spending in a lot of areas that we would rather not, but we're just not aware of it. Thankfully we've redoubled our efforts into eating the food we buy and not eating out, so that has helped, but that doesn't solve the tracking issue.

I guess we've got to just sit down and figure it out. I would love if there was someone to help us sort things out and keep us on track, but that isn't easy to find either.
Keeping track of the big stuff isn't so very hard, though you do need to actually DO it :lol: You'll have receipts, checks and possibly credit card statements to help you. It sounds though as though the little things are a problem. IF you are both committed to finding out where the money is going then maybe you could try keeping track of everything (everything!) you spend for several months. You don't need a program for that, or even a spreadsheet (unless you want one). Keep a notebook in your purse/pocket, or just a sheet of paper, and make sure you account for every penny you spend throughout the day. At the end of the day (or the week, but it is easier by the day) add them up into categories. You will be amazed at the *little* things that add up. You can do this on your own, and get a fairly good idea; but if you can get DH on line as well it will better.
Also, just getting into this habit might give you enough money discipline to move on to other aspects of money management.
(You might want to read "Your Money or Your Life" by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin. You might find it a little dated (although I think it has been updated), but it has some interesting ideas about keeping track of your money, and why you might want to.)

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Thanks OR, its the details with my other half that are the trouble. I actually don't do a whole lot of spending on my own, mostly just gas, otherwise the shopping I do is with him, too. I sometimes buy little things while I am at work, mostly food, but beyond that, he's the one that spends. I have tried to go uber detailed, and just couldn't handle it at the time. I don't know that I have the energy now, either. I guess we'll just have to sit down and talk about it. We've got clear dreams and things we want to do, and we for sure won't get there this way...

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We started out trying to write our purchases in a book... we didn't do it... so we got in the habit of getting receipts for EVERYTHING... even coffees... then while I'm having my tea in the evening I take 5 minutes and plop the numbers into our spreadsheet...

We were horrible at it at first and it took us MONTHS to get into the routine, but once you get used to doing it it really doesn't take that long. You can enter receipts when you get a phone call or if you're watching tv... really anytime you have 5 minutes to work on the computer.