Peach trees

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
After my dismal failure with my lone apple tree - & being informed by members that I needed TWO apple trees for proper pollination - I wondered if I would need two trees if I wanted to try my hand at peaches...? My lone pear tree did fine. :D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
It depends on the tree. W/some you do need a 2nd tree, others you don't. But from what I understand, even if you don't need 2 trees, you get a better yield per tree if you have 2.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, some apple trees don't need pollinators like Golden Delicious. You can research peach trees to see if any varieties will do well without pollinators. Pear trees can be pollinated by Bradford Pear trees (those are decorative pear trees). That being said all fruit trees will produce more with a pollinator. Sometimes there are other reasons fruit trees don't produce like it blooms very early in the spring and then we have some very cold days afterward. I was wondering why my pear trees didn't produce this year and then I noticed black spots on the leafs so I need to treat them or they won't produce.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
As others have stated, you will get more fruit tdo to better pollination, if you have more than one tree.

If you already have an apple tree, why not get a second one, so your apple trees will produce.

You can also find grafted trees, that have more than one variety grafted onto them.

In a worst case scenario you can try and find someone else who has an apple, peach or whatever fruit you have tree, and beg some flowering twigs from them and place them in a jar near your own tree for cross pollination. The problem with this is, that you have to time it right.

If you have neighbors with fruit trees, you can plant one of the same kind of fruit and yours would get pollinated from the neighbors tree.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I planted a peach tree this year that started really well. Contender peach, supposed to do really well in colder climates like mine, so we'll see. I'm in Zone 4 :th

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I"m not help because I have a specific southern type peach tree (Florida King)... but it is fine on its own. The plan is to buy another one after the first of the year because, as has been stated, it is supposed to increase production.
Growing up we had only one peach tree and it did great.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I saved a bunch of peach pits and plum pits after making wine and FD's plum bread, so the orchard will be started in the spring, in a pile of compost in some sunny corner....or in my gutters, as Gene Logden's funny article suggested (posted by OFG sometime, somewhere in the past, I think.)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I saved a bunch of peach pits and plum pits after making wine and FD's plum bread, so the orchard will be started in the spring, in a pile of compost in some sunny corner....or in my gutters, as Gene Logden's funny article suggested (posted by OFG sometime, somewhere in the past, I think.)
If you get any thing growing from them, you probably won't get a tree that produces good fruit. I don't know of a single variety of peach tree nowadays that isn't a graft. I'm not sure about plums, I haven't worked w/them. But I used to work for someone who grew both apples and peaches. All the trees were grafts.

However, if you do get anything growing, you may be able to do your own graft. I'm not sure how hard it actually is.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
As others have stated, you will get more fruit tdo to better pollination, if you have more than one tree.

If you already have an apple tree, why not get a second one, so your apple trees will produce.
I did that. I planted a Golden Delicious (one of my favorites!) last weekend. :D

I wondered if I could hand-pollinate somehow...As I walk around the neighborhood, I look for other apple trees but haven't seen any, just pear & peach. :/

I may head over to Home Despot after Thanksgiving to check out the peach trees...they were 25% off when I bought my apple tree.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
freemotion said:
If you get any thing growing from them, you probably won't get a tree that produces good fruit. I don't know of a single variety of peach tree nowadays that isn't a graft. I'm not sure about plums, I haven't worked w/them. But I used to work for someone who grew both apples and peaches. All the trees were grafts.

However, if you do get anything growing, you may be able to do your own graft. I'm not sure how hard it actually is.
Oh, poop. I don't think I want to waste valuable space to something that won't make pie, cobbler, and wine. :/