Peanut Butter Recall

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
The whole article...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28695782/?GT1=43001

Snipets...

Federal health authorities on Saturday urged consumers to avoid eating cookies, cakes, ice cream and other foods that contain peanut butter until authorities can learn more about a deadly outbreak of salmonella contamination.
Officials are focusing on peanut paste, as well as peanut butter, produced at a Blakely, Ga., facility owned by Peanut Corp. of America. Its peanut butter is not sold directly to consumers but distributed to institutions and food companies. But the peanut paste, made from roasted peanuts, is an ingredient in cookies, cakes and other products that people buy in the supermarket.
So far, more than 470 people have gotten sick in 43 states, and at least 90 had to be hospitalized. At least six deaths are being blamed on the outbreak. Salmonella is a bacteria and the most common source of food poisoning in the U.S., causing diarrhea, cramping and fever.
The Kellogg Co., which listed Peanut Corp. as one of its suppliers, has recalled 16 products. They include Austin and Keebler branded Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers, and some snack-size packs of Famous Amos Peanut Butter Cookies and Keebler Soft Batch Homestyle Peanut Butter Cookies. Health officials said consumers who have bought any of those products should throw them away.
Peanut Corp. has recalled all peanut butter produced at the Georgia plant since Aug. 8 and all peanut paste produced since Sept. 26. The plant passed its last state inspection this summer, but recent tests have found salmonella.
The Midwest supermaket chain Hy-Vee Inc. of West Des Moines, Iowa, said Saturday it was voluntarily recalling products made in its bakery departments with peanut butter because they had the potential to be contaminated with salmonella. The recall covered seven states: Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota and Minnesota.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yet another reason to avoid processed foods. Yikes!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Same here! Wonder how in the world Salmonella gets into peanut butter? Especially enough to be so widespread and virulent? :rolleyes:

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Same here! Wonder how in the world Salmonella gets into peanut butter? Especially enough to be so widespread and virulent? :rolleyes:
Good question and this isn't the first outbreak in peanut butter in the last year. Does anyone know enough about the making of peanut butter to explain how this might happen?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I don't know that much about making peanut butter but I know that one previous outbreak was contaminated water. Small animal droppings contaiminated the water which inturn contaminated the peanut butter.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
When I make pb, which isn't often, I just throw the peanuts, a bit of canola oil and dash of salt in the food processor.....

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
My DH's aunt recently broke her hip and was moved from the hospital to a care facility. She and 6 others were taken back to the hospital for salmonella poisoning. We will talk to her later today to find out if it was peanut butter. We know the PB was distributed to hospitals, schools and nursing homes.

Is this the same as the King Nut advisory?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
sylvie said:
My DH's aunt recently broke her hip and was moved from the hospital to a care facility. She and 6 others were taken back to the hospital for salmonella poisoning. We will talk to her later today to find out if it was peanut butter. We know the PB was distributed to hospitals, schools and nursing homes.

Is this the same as the King Nut advisory?
Yes, they were involved also.....

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
News Update Today - Sun Jan 18

Now it's some Little Debbie peanut butter crackers that are being recalled because there's a chance of salmonella contamination. That's the word Sunday from McKee Foods Corp. of Collegedale, Tenn.

The voluntary recall covers all sizes of two kinds of sandwich crackers Little Debbie peanut butter toasty crackers and Little Debbie peanut butter cheese crackers.

The company says no other Little Debbie products are involved in the recall. McKee says it acted because the crackers have the potential to be contaminated.
I made garlic & roasted red pepper hummus today for lunch. That's what we're doing...... :/