pear harvest

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was told that it's best to pick pears while they are still hard, as they are one of the very few fruits that continues to ripen off the tree. If you leave them on the tree you risk getting hard woody spots, but if you pick them just a little underripe they develop that wonderful buttery texture.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was told that it's best to pick pears while they are still hard, as they are one of the very few fruits that continues to ripen off the tree. If you leave them on the tree you risk getting hard woody spots, but if you pick them just a little underripe they develop that wonderful buttery texture.

Yes I agree. I tend to pick mine when hard as if they are left to get ripe and softer, they drop off the tree! I also dont mind a diced crisp pears in salads, goes lovely with rocket. I put them in hot self saucing pudding before they ripe and they seem to melt into it beautifully. Pears are such a versatile fruit.

I will have to prune my tree this week as its trained to a frame and it needs to stay within the bird netting.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have two wild pear trees in our woods. The pears were very small, rock hard, and gritty. I still made a cobbler out of them, and it was good! Since then part of one of the trees broke off, or maybe the whole tree fell down. There have been so many trees falling down, I can't keep track.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i like pears green or fully juicy and soft. if they're not edible in whole they can be juiced and that is good too.