Peasant cookery

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made a comment a couple of days ago about *peasant cookery*, and there were no responses. Maybe my comment didn't merit a response, or maybe the term *peasant* was misconstrued. We don't have a *peasant* class in America, and many of us tend to think of peasants as poor illiterates, bound to the land, and to their masters. This is, however, not really the way it was. The peasants of Europe (and, I assume, of the rest of the world) were the land workers, living from the land, and from their work on the land. They weren't serfs, nor were they necessarily poor (though probably also not rich; sound familiar?). In fact, my reading makes them sound very much like what we all on SS are striving toward. From "The Old World Kitchen - The Rich Tradition of European Peasant Cooking" by Elizabeth Louard: "The glow of embers on the hearth, a savory broth simmering in the cooking pot on it's tripod, a flitch of bacon from last autumn's pig smoking in a hollow in the chimney - until very recently these were not nostalgic pleasures; for centuries they were the very stuff of life in Europe. Peasant cooking was always dominated by practical rather than economic factors. There were few peasant recipes for offal, since this was only available in quantity to the poor of the towns. Sugar was an expensive commodity in all but Ottoman-dominated Europe until recently, so there were few high sugar recipes."

So, when I suggest that we should look towards peasant cookery to feed our families well, and inexpensively, I'm not suggesting that we *live poor*, but rather that we look to the *old ways* of whichever culture speaks to us best. My own ancestors came mostly from Scotland and Ireland; my DH, as many of you are aware, was born and raised in Germany. My sister-in-law was born and raised in Korea. I enjoy cooking, and learning new ways, and so enjoy looking at all these different ways of *peasant cookery*, but tend to think first of the British Isles and Northern Europe.

The peasants of Europe gave us such things as cassoulet (French beans and meat), Choucroute garni (sauerkraut and various sausages and other bits of pig), many of the pasta and polenta dishes of Italy, Hungarian gulasch, and any number of other dishes - those particular *comfort foods* that emigres so often long for when they are far from their home countries.

This evening for dinner I made a *Bauernomelette* - a Farmer's omelette in German, very similar to a Spanish tortilla, or an Italian frittata. I had various veggies left from over the Christmas holidays, and went from there. Usually I make this all in one pan, but this time I cooked things separately, and added them back together. One could use any number of veggie combinations; as a nod to my own California upbringing, and to the Italian immigrants before, I often add artichoke hearts, but not today. I sliced up some mushrooms, and sauteed them with some diced onions. I removed these from the pan, and sauteed some sliced Brussel sprouts, and then, separately, some chopped kale. I steamed some diced potato (often I use leftover boiled potatoes). Then I browned the potatoes, adding in the veggies, and some sausage pieces (DH likes his sausage! :lol:). Then I poured over several beaten eggs. I seasoned it all with some pepper, marjoram, and chopped garlic chives (left here by my Korean SIS after Christmas). Once the eggs were almost set I turned everything over with a spatula. A salad would have gone nicely with this, but I didn't do that this evening.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Oh man, I missed your other thread :/

The peasants of Europe gave us such things as cassoulet (French beans and meat), Choucroute garni (sauerkraut and various sausages and other bits of pig), many of the pasta and polenta dishes of Italy, Hungarian gulasch, and any number of other dishes - those particular *comfort foods* that emigres so often long for when they are far from their home countries.
Mmmmm... I'm pretty sure almost ALL the "comfort foods" are peasant lol.

:D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I missed it, too! But it has been a busy week. I usually skim for the food-related stuff (and goats! :p ) but somehow missed it, sorry! I love the idea of peasant food...fits right in with the idea of traditional foods, sort of the same thing, I guess.

Did you see that latest link I added to my pigervention recipe thread? It was a bunch of very old recipes, many of which I recognized from my Memere's table when I was a kid. She was born in the late 1800's. I'm going to make some head cheese this week, cretons.

Your dinner sounds delicious, kinda like a cross between a fritata and an omelette, only better. Yum!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You didn't really miss much more than a comment on another thread. ;)

Another name for that Bauernomelette is Bauernfruehstueck or Farmer's breakfast - a good hearty stick to your ribs meal to get you through a farmer's day :lol:. For us sedentary types its better in smaller quantities, and a different time of day. Although Free? Reading some of the things you do every day makes me think that a hearty breakfast wouldn't come amiss for you :lol:

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you're the person who commented about Italian peasant cooking - I didn't followup but that's only because I already do a lot of that already. (You should see all my Italian cookbooks.) I LOVE cassoulet (i.e., leftovers and beans, French style), and most of my pasta sauces are either old recipes from Italian cookbooks or Italian-style improv, and my goulasch is an old Hungarian recipe.

The other night, for example, I made sausage and artichoke hearts pasta sauce, because that's what I had in the house... It was really yummy and I had plenty of leftovers to freeze. (I have many frozen pasta sauces in one-meal portions.)

I also make a great puttanesca sauce - melt down anchovies in hot olive oil, add a handful of chopped olives and another handful of capers, some tomato sauce or marinara or even tomato paste from the tube. Add some water or broth (whatever's on hand). Hot pepper flakes and garlic. Let it cook down to a sauce while the pasta cooks and you're done. One of my favorite quick go-to dishes.

I love your german frittata. I did a frittata style potatoes and leeks dish yesterday to go with some Italian sausages. Worked well.

Peasant-style cooking is good cooking.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Actually, I DO eat a hearty breakfast most days! If the girls are laying, three eggs is the norm, along with 2-3 pints of fresh whole milk.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ORChick this is a wonderful topic.

Did yo say you had read some book with recipes?

I think I cook a lot like this as well.

g

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
When I was younger, there was a show on TV called the Urban Peasant. It was a cooking show. I loved watching his show, and he talked alot about the peasant lifestyle as he was creating his dishes. It was so educational, as well as entertaining, and his dishes, although I can't remember what he made now, were extremely interesting.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Having grown up with Pennsylvania Dutch being the sort of core reference point in my mother's cooking, I have absorbed the same sort of orientation and I tend to think of "peasant cooking" as simply "normal cooking" as opposed to "things all gussied up restaurant- or magazine- or foodie-style" LOL

And I think it's weird that the rest of the world doesn't think so too. (I'm not saying it really IS weird, it just SEEMS weird to me, you know?)

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A peasant is an agricultural worker who generally owns or rents only a small plot of ground.

Well the definition might not be exact, but all "poor" or "simple" eating is fair game in this category.

Peasant cooking is normal cooking to me also on the "more natural, to the earth, what ya got on hand at the time" meals.

It isn' always what ya grow but what you can obtain on the cheap, barter, comes my way side of life :lol: and make the best of that meal!