Peasant cookery

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
Denim Deb said:
At first glance, I read this as pheasant cooking, then read it as pleasant cooking. ;)
pleasant pheasant cooking?

;-)
Pleasant peasant cooking pheasant? (Oops! That sounds like the pheasant is cooking the pleasant peasant! :lol:)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
redhen said:
Wifezilla said:
Been watching them also... cept they only go up to episode 9... he never finished putting the rest of the series up...
And i cant find the last (episode 10) episode of it anywhere else on youtube.. :barnie
DId you see the Victorian Pharmacy one also? :D
Your not the only one crabby about that :D
I wanted to see the harvest!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
abifae said:
*laughing* I foodie style my peasant cooking!
When I do frittatas, I carefully arrange the veggies on top into patterns, and grate the cheese evenly over the top after cooking so it bakes with an even color....
You know, to me that isn't "foodie", it's just "neatnik" :)

To me what distinguishes foodie-style cooking is that it is very precise and/or pretentious about the ingredients specified in the recipes; that it expects you to go search out the ingredients for that special recipe, rather than doing what you can with what you got; that it tends to obsess on some exact technique or other being aesthetically-superior, in an allegedly absolute and universal way, over all others; and that it has a bit of a tendency to burst into spasms of joy over things like larks' tongues and obscure cheeses made only in one particular valley in Greece and only in the month of April.

As opposed to "gee, we mostly have potatoes now and a bit of cabbage and pork, now what is something tasty we could do with them?"

Pat

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
abifae said:
When I do frittatas, I carefully arrange the veggies on top into patterns, and grate the cheese evenly over the top after cooking so it bakes with an even color....

To me what distinguishes foodie-style cooking is that it is very precise and/or pretentious about the ingredients specified in the recipes; that it expects you to go search out the ingredients for that special recipe, rather than doing what you can with what you got; that it tends to obsess on some exact technique or other being aesthetically-superior, in an allegedly absolute and universal way, over all others; and that it has a bit of a tendency to burst into spasms of joy over things like larks' tongues and obscure cheeses made only in one particular valley in Greece and only in the month of April.

As opposed to "gee, we mostly have potatoes now and a bit of cabbage and pork, now what is something tasty we could do with them?"

Pat
I so agree Pat. It really bugs me when recipes call for that one (or several) trendy ingredient that costs the earth, and has been shipped halfway 'round that same earth, and nobody in these latitudes could even begin to grow or make themselves. Now, I like ethnic eating and cooking as well as the next (and more than many :lol:), but I also like just plain, good food - actually, those are really both the same, just that some of the *plain, good food* that I like is only plain if you live in India or Morocco or ... - but I object to fancified stuff purely for the sake of fancy.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yes, ORChick, that link was for old, old Acadian recipes, some very interesting ones, too. My mouth waters when I read some of them.

Wifezilla said:
I have been watching "Edwardian Farm" and the cooking segments have been very fascinating. Ruth talks a lot about what was normally eaten by the farmers and how most of the "good stuff" was sold to market. The farmers used the scraps and odd pieces for themselves and used a lot of root vegetables to stretch what meat they used.
I read a quote somewhere a few years ago that went something like this: Successful farmers eat the best and sell the rest. Unsuccessful farmers sell the best and eat what is left.

I immediately stopped selling my freshest eggs and started eating them, selling the older ones (we are talking about a few days here) and I also eat the cleanest eggs and sell the washed ones. Right from the start with the milking, I use today's milk for our drinking and use older milk if I sell some (for pet use only, of course) and for making cheese.

We do try to use everything, but that includes the best along with the odd bits!

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Did someone say "pheasant"? Anyone got a great recipe for pheasant?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I think I also read that topic as "pheasant" cookery :lol:

I certainly think of peasant cookery as the people's food. Especially people living in the country. But even cityfolk have access to decent food and can make yummy eats out of eat.

By this standard I made peasant chili yesterday.
I used what was on hand.

dried black beans (storebought in a huge bag, I have 2 gallons still),
The following are all homegrown and preserved/processed:
dried cranberry beans, 1/2 onion, lots of garlic, sweet peppers, hot peppers, leftover steak, remains of some homemade salsa, paprika, whey and ACV (for soaking the beans)

and sotrebought chilli powder, cocoa, cinamon, pepper and salt.

SO kept asking me what I was adding and why. I told him it was my secret recipe ;) and he needed to leave the kitchen. He is used to skaggs or Dennisons chili, neither of which I care much for. I was raised on homemade chili. And it never tasted the same way twice. Probably because my mother used what was on hand :lol:

I make that german style omelet all the time. Except I stir the eggs into the potato mixture. It makes a wonderful meal any time of day.

for tonight's desert I made breadpudding, which turned out great. I'll post the recipe seperately.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
abifae said:

Pat
Okay but for me, as a foodie, I'm really interested in learning those techniques and special ingredients. Not as something "pretentious" but as something really fun and kewl and a way to learn more. For example, I loved learning about harissa - and started by finding a recipe to make my own. Now, it's a standard "ingredient" I keep on hand because it helps with making the pantry stuff more tasty and interesting.

Not all of us foodies are pretentious. Some of us are just totally into food.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dinner tonight was a sausage/mushroom pasta sauce on cavatappi. The sauce was a leftover from October that I portioned and froze.

Here's the sauce:
Brown Italian sausages (half mild/half hot or all hot)
Add mushrooms and chopped onions let them cook down.
Add marinara or tomato paste and broth to cover the mix. Cook down by 1/3. You're done.

Put aside half of the cooked sauce to freeze in single-meal portions.

Cook the pasta until al dente and then drain (DON'T rinse) and add it to the pan of sauce. Mix. Add some grated/shredded pecorino romano. Serve and eat immediately. (Pasta doesn't "hold" well.)

Enjoy with chianti.