Pepper Jelly question...

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I made pepper Jelly four days ago. I have never canned anything (aside from refrigerator pickles). The pepper jelly tastes awesome but isn't firming up. It's still runny. I used the Ball brand Pectin. I used 6 cups of sugar and 4oz of pectin which made 7 jelly jars. Will the jelly firm up or did I do something wrong?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I find it happens more often than not with pepper jams/jellys, I doubt you did anything wrong unless you did not follow the steps and put it in before or after you should of. I prefer them runny to use as bastes and over a brick of cream cheese. Next time try using 2 packets of the liquid (usually) pectin with your pepper jelly/jam recipe. I personally don't like them that firm so maybe only another half of a packet would work also. Was this a tried and true recipe? Usually if they are they have the pectin amount down pretty good. Hope that helps.

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No, not a tried and true recipe, just something I found on the internet. I will try a little more pectin next time. Thanks, that does help!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I ordered some regular clear gel (not instant) and I just dissolve 2 tblsp. of clear gel in a quarter cup of cool water and add to my jam if it doesn't seem thick enough. I add it after I add sugar but before it returns to a boil.

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Same thing happened here with my cranberry pepper jelly. I use it for cream cheese bricks too, so I'm fine with it. :)
Recipe please :D