perserving meat

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ORChick said:
BarredBuff said:
I would say best meat preservation in a SHTF situation would be on the bone or in the jar. No electricity, no freezer. But if we are talking about life as we know it ending, I'd say on the bone would be the best way. :)
Do you mean *on the hoof*, ie *alive*, or do you have another way of preserving meat? I would think that *on the hoof* might actually not be such a good idea, depending on where one is located. I can imagine *zombies* finding a way to do their own butchering once they hear the moos or baas. Rabbits are quiet though, so maybe *on the paw* would work. My loud hens, and louder rooster though would very quickly be history :lol: IF they could be caught!
Better get your malnutrition makeup out, while you're at it.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
ORChick said:
BarredBuff said:
I would say best meat preservation in a SHTF situation would be on the bone or in the jar. No electricity, no freezer. But if we are talking about life as we know it ending, I'd say on the bone would be the best way. :)
Do you mean *on the hoof*, ie *alive*, or do you have another way of preserving meat? I would think that *on the hoof* might actually not be such a good idea, depending on where one is located. I can imagine *zombies* finding a way to do their own butchering once they hear the moos or baas. Rabbits are quiet though, so maybe *on the paw* would work. My loud hens, and louder rooster though would very quickly be history :lol: IF they could be caught!
Better get your malnutrition makeup out, while you're at it.
:idunno

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oops. That came out a little strong.

I don't think you can be safe from non-SS people who are desperate. The only solution is to convince your community to do things that are SS. If everyone has something to fall back on, there won't be any desperate people. At least, not as many.

Anyway, it we end up in a water-world or road-warrior type situation, your little 2-year supply won't be much help. In a more realistic situation, like the goings on in the middle east, a 1-year or even 3-month stockpile would make all the difference.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, I see. And I happen to agree, to a point. My own stockpile is meant for storms, and icy driveways, and not feeling well so I don't want to go shopping. I really feel that my loud hens and even louder rooster are actually pretty safe - I have promised them (although maybe not their offspring; we're still thinking about that) a life, and feed, and free range for as long as Nature lets them have it. I live far enough out of town, and far enough up a hill that I feel that the *zombies*, which I'm not so very sure are going to materialize, will look for easier game. But yeah, I am somewhat knowledgeable of history, and understand that war, civil or otherwise, can be very nasty for those that happen to be in the way. One reason that I am very thankful for good neighbours.

I think that this thread has wandered far from its starting point. I'm sorry for my part in that :/

Latest posts