Persimmons

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
EAT THEM!!! Some of the more astringent ones are better after a frost. I've been known to freeze them.

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
make bread. It makes a beautiful color and a wonderful flavor bread. Wish I had some right now

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
make bread. It makes a beautiful color and a wonderful flavor bread. Wish I had some right now

I do know there are basically two kinds growing in the US both wild and domestic.
Domesticated persimmons are favored for food. They can reach 4 inches or more in diameter. They have 4 woody calyx lobes at the base, are quite astringent as FEM mentioned, until ripening around October. Then are very sweet and juicy. They ripen to an orange to orange-purple (the domestics turn almost red) and persist on the trees until absolutely ripe, which may not occur until early winter or after the first freeze. After ripening, the fruit drop or can be shaken from the tree.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So freeze them first in the deep freeze? How long, a couple of days?
I probably let mine go about a week....but never really keep a true schedule. I generally put 'em in one weekend and start using 'em by the next weekend. It's been quite a few years since I had a good haul. One of the neighbors used to grow them commercially - but he passed and the property has been sold.

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have never tasted domestic persimmons so I really do not know if they taste different. The domestic when I do see them in the
store are expensive. Have you ever had a Paw Paw?

Latest posts