Persimmons

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The Asian markets usually get persimmons in for good prices. I've gotten them for as low as $.80 /pound. It's the setting them in the cupboard and waiting for them to ripen that annoys me. I can't grow any trees here. I'd love to try tree ripe.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The Asian markets usually get persimmons in for good prices. I've gotten them for as low as $.80 /pound. It's the setting them in the cupboard and waiting for them to ripen that annoys me. I can't grow any trees here. I'd love to try tree ripe.

I believe they are not really ripe until after they freeze. FEM said she freezes them in the deep freezer for a couple of weeks.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's kind of weird that they grow best in places where it hardly ever freezes. :huMy neighbor has a male and female tree and her persimmons fruit are still green but are getting big. I'll have to get a second tree. One of mine died. Mine were just planted last year (or maybe the year before but haven't borne fruit yet.) I'm hoping it's close enough to the neighbor's male tree not to need one of my own.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Native range for Persimmons

220px-Diospyros_virginiana_map.png

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's kind of weird that they grow best in places where it hardly ever freezes. :huMy neighbor has a male and female tree and her persimmons fruit are still green but are getting big. I'll have to get a second tree. One of mine died. Mine were just planted last year (or maybe the year before but haven't borne fruit yet.) I'm hoping it's close enough to the neighbor's male tree not to need one of my own.

I'm on the northern end of their range and boy it sure freezes here. I saw milled more than my share of persimmon while living in North Carolina. Its hard as a rock and you have to grind the band saw blade to almost a 0 degree hook angle. Really is no longer considered a "hook" grind but a flat grind. If I never sawmill any persimmon again, I would be perfectly ok with that :) larger diameter logs make really pretty lumber though. To understand how hard it is, persimmon is mainly used as golf club driver heads :rolleyes:
IMG-9160.jpeg

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We definitely freeze here too. There is nothing sweeter than a persimmon out of the freezer - I generally eat 'em with a spoon! I've got a couple of trees - but they're young. I hope next spring will give me some fruit.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter That wood is beautiful. Is the dark grain in the middle solid? Looks like it could be punky or have voids from the photo. but... I'm guessing it is solid.

If remember correctly the WWer I sold that slab to, made it into a coffee table. It was solid and not punky. As a mater of fact that picture is of the first couple of coats of finish, drying in the sun.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love the wide variation in wood grain. You know how certain scents act to kindle memories? For me, it's wood and fresh grain. Those smells take me back to my childhood, when life was much more simple.