pet escape stories

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Okay, so this morning my hubby was sitting in the kitchen reading the paper and out of the corner of his eye he sees something move. He looks up and in walks our hamster Hammy, who stops and stands on his hind legs and looks at him as if to say, "what's up dude?"

So it got me thinking....with all of our animals there have got to be some funny pet stories rolling around out there. We have lots.

One time, I was cleaning out the hamster cage and had put Hammy in his ball to roll around the living room. My 1 yr old comes around the corner into the kitchen and is holding half of the ball and says to me "where Hammy go?" I run into the living room and ask my 3 yr old where is Hammy and he replies, with a big grin on his face, "Hammy's wooose!"

2 hours later we found him in my daughter's clothes hamper...he had chewed a big hole in the corner and was chilling out in her dirty clothes!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Back in the 70s my brother begged for a pet anole (small lizard that we called a chameleon). Well Mom gave in and let him get Carlos. One day Carlos got out. We never found him. We joked that he was still living in the basement of the house and grew to 15 feet long. My parents sold the house 6 years ago. When we emptied the basement we were reeeeaaalllyy cautious thinking we might surprise him in his hiding place. No sign of him though.

My favorite hamster story is when my hamster Tammy got loose and we found her in my doll house!! She'd been out for a few days and had stored up some food in the corner of its garage.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
My little brother had a pet iguana that got loose one time...looked for that thing for like a week. My mom opens up the bread box one day and SURPRISE! There he was...scared her half to death.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd say we were more afraid that we would find Carlos, than not find him!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL--no inside pets except fish. I love aquariums.

I have alot of outside escape stories with horses, goats, cattle, etc. etc..LOL

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Oh, I have a fish story too! It's almost an escape story too! We bought two new cory catfish to add to our little tank. I went through setting the bag in the water and all that. When it was time I released the fish into the tank. I watched for a second and could only see one. Something made me look down and there was one of the fish flopping around in the trash! I scooped it up quickly and put it in the tank. It lived for a long time after that. I hope it learned captivity in the tank beat the heck out of trying to survive in the trash can!

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My (now) 15yo daughter has a thing for snakes. When she was 12, Her ball python (about 15" long) escaped. She didn't put the screen on straight after a feeding. It was missing for 3 weeks and we figured it must have found a way outside. One day I was looking for new batteries in one of those drawers under the kitchen counter that all the junk gets thrown in and guess what I found? Slither. He's now about 24" long and she's a lot more careful with the lid.
FC - We also have many stories of escaped horses, donkey's, goats, and chickens.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I bought a hedgehog at the pet store for $175.

I put it in an aquarium and covered it with a mesh top. The hedgehog was unfriendly to say the least. A hedgehog is covered with sharp spikes all over it's body. It stabbed me everytime I tried to hold it. For the first three months the hedgehog just stayed rolled up in a spiny ball. I had to get leather gloves to pick up the animal and there was absolutly no bonding happening between us.

One day I went to feed it and it wasn't there. Where could it be? I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary with the cage/aquarium. A few hours later the hedgehog just wandered into the living room. I put it back into the cage.

A few weeks later, I was dating my dream man. I finally decided to let him come over to my house. I cleaned the house, the cage and even my car. Trying to make a good impression. I was soooo nervous.

So my dream man comes over and I'm all nice and proper. You know, I want to impress him. A little later on he decides to go to the bathroom.

As I am waiting for him politely on the couch he comes stumbling out of the bathroom talking in a language I have never heard before. I finally sumise that he is saying :barnie"A CREATURE! :ep A CREATURE! :smack YOU HAVE A CREATURE IN YOUR BATHROOM!

Ok, now he's turned from a dream man into a real puss. I ask what he means and he is afraid to go back in the bathroom to show me. I wonder... did I leave a present in the toilet? :idunno

So I go into the bathroom to see what it is and there is my hedgehog looking guilty all over again. :hide I had to explain to my dream man what the animal was and calm him down.

Well, it's six years later and we are happily married for the past five and I still protect my manly man any time he needs it. :love

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
shareneh said:
I bought a hedgehog at the pet store for $175.

I put it in an aquarium and covered it with a mesh top. The hedgehog was unfriendly to say the least. A hedgehog is covered with sharp spikes all over it's body. It stabbed me everytime I tried to hold it. For the first three months the hedgehog just stayed rolled up in a spiny ball. I had to get leather gloves to pick up the animal and there was absolutly no bonding happening between us.

One day I went to feed it and it wasn't there. Where could it be? I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary with the cage/aquarium. A few hours later the hedgehog just wandered into the living room. I put it back into the cage.

A few weeks later, I was dating my dream man. I finally decided to let him come over to my house. I cleaned the house, the cage and even my car. Trying to make a good impression. I was soooo nervous.

So my dream man comes over and I'm all nice and proper. You know, I want to impress him. A little later on he decides to go to the bathroom.

As I am waiting for him politely on the couch he comes stumbling out of the bathroom talking in a language I have never heard before. I finally sumise that he is saying :barnie"A CREATURE! :ep A CREATURE! :smack YOU HAVE A CREATURE IN YOUR BATHROOM!

Ok, now he's turned from a dream man into a real puss. I ask what he means and he is afraid to go back in the bathroom to show me. I wonder... did I leave a present in the toilet? :idunno

So I go into the bathroom to see what it is and there is my hedgehog looking guilty all over again. :hide I had to explain to my dream man what the animal was and calm him down.

Well, it's six years later and we are happily married for the past five and I still protect my manly man any time he needs it. :love
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!! :yuckyuck

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I won't EVEN tell you guys about the time this past summer that I forgot to lock the back gate to our fenced in yard,and then put all three dogs outside :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
LUCKILY for me, I found all three of them about a block away, safe and sound!!
Boy was the wife ever upset with ME!