pet escape stories

Gay Renee

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
When I was a kid, I found an ad in the back of some magazine that advertised FOUR chameleons for a $1. Naturally, being the animal lover I was, I mailed off my $1 and two weeks later a brown paper round package arrived for me. I naturally, not knowing how FAST these little critters were, cut the top open, and out popped three of them, #4 was a little shy and stayed in the beer can they had been shipped in. I had a small plastic habitat for them, and had them for years. The biggest one of the bunch got loose and stayed in the old milk house that whole year. My dad bought cracklings for the dogs and everytime we would go in there to get a chunk for the dogs, there would be Big Boy hissing and daring us to get his cracklins. I know he didn't survive the Illinois winters we had back then, (60's), but I surely did enjoy them while I had them. We have an 8 year old son, and he is an animal lover like me, and right now we have two black rats, two bunnies, and 12 white mice (the four we started with were suppose to be ALL boys, yeah right!) and a dog and a cat. We also have three Alpaca's agisting in Warrenton, Mo. right now and plan to have them home this early spring. I am also starting a small hen house, trying to get back to the land as much as possible. Love readin' what everyone is up too!! Being SS is so critical at this point and time in our lives, we really need to help each other out!!!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
We had a male African Pygmy Mountain Goat. One day he got loose as the school bus was slowing to pick up kids, unbeknown to us. We glanced out the window to see the bus backing up. There was our little he-man butting the chrome bumper of the bus with his horns, believing that he was making it back off. I was laughing so hard, yet glad he didn't get hit.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
sylvie said:
We had a male African Pygmy Mountain Goat. One day he got loose as the school bus was slowing to pick up kids, unbeknown to us. We glanced out the window to see the bus backing up. There was our little he-man butting the chrome bumper of the bus with his horns, believing that he was making it back off. I was laughing so hard, yet glad he didn't get hit.
He must have felt such an awesome sense of power butting that big yellow thing away!!

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My sister has a Husky who should be called Houdini. They live in the suburbs, and they have gotten calls from the local post office that Max was INSIDE the post office, at the children's home, amusing the kids up there, and at a local restaurant, bumming food of the diners on the patio. Luckily, he is the SWEETEST dog, because he is giant, and could seem very scary. However, he has cost them a lot of money, bailing him out of 'dog jail.'

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I got a little kitten from a girl at work, tiny little thing, black with white paws. Took her home and the first night she disappears. My now husband, and I look all over the house for her and cannot find her. Later that night we heard a muffled mewing coming from the kitchen. We looked all over and still couldn't find her. Finally we got the flashlights out and started opening cabinets. She had gotten up into one of the cabinets and was asleep in a bowl by the time we found her. After that we named her Houdini and she was always doing disappearing acts on us over the years.

plucky

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have a corn snake (Orville) I use for giving nature programs, that my husband got for me for my birthday - which is funny, because he's not really a snake person. He's fine holding them or looking at them in a terrarium, but when they're loose, it's a different story.

Once I was changing Orville's water and I couldn't find him (by now Orville was a good 18" long). I said, "Um...hon? I think Orville is loose."

Hubby said (in a semi-panicky voice), "wh-what?" I turned around and he was standing on the couch, looking warily around at the floor.

We ransacked the house (hubby yelping and jumping the whole time, the big wuss), and finally found Orville wrapped around the TV/DVD player cords behind the entertainment center.

Turns out the top of the terrarium was loose, and he was able to push it up. I was relieved Orville was ok, but hubby was just relieved he was contained.

:rolleyes:

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: :gig

I love it when the guys are the ones who need rescuing :thumbsup

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I distinctly remember my younger brother (who was about 16 at the time) jumping onto the coffee table when an anaconda jumped out on the projection television screen that my parents had just purchased....:gig This is the same brother that wanted to get his ear pierced but was afraid the girl would miss and the earring gun would shoot it into his head....big wuss!!!

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had a rosy boa push off his lid and escape...gone for months, and turned up inside the wall when I was putting in a new front door. Also, 2 summers ago, my youngest, John, left the lid loose on a California kingsnake. He was gone all summer. In September john comes running in saying there is a huge striped snake in the back. Thinking it would be a large ribbon snake, I was shocked to see the tail of the king going down a hole. I flooded him out with a hose. He had grown over 10 inches! He is sitting pretty right now in his terrarium in the living room.