Pet Hamster

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Hamster grain seedlings are popping up. I found whole einkorn (an ancient wheat) today at a bulk goods store and bought some to plant.

There are seedlings growing in her cage too! I'm excited for this! I gave DS7 a plant light to put on top of her cage.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hamster grain seedlings are popping up. I found whole einkorn (an ancient wheat) today at a bulk goods store and bought some to plant.

There are seedlings growing in her cage too! I'm excited for this! I gave DS7 a plant light to put on top of her cage.

plant light might have UV and not be great for creatures and DS7 if he's watching the hamster (or you for that matter :) ).

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
plant light might have UV and not be great for creatures and DS7 if he's watching the hamster (or you for that matter :) ).
it's an LED shop light. soft white. My houseplants do better with soft white than a grow light spectrum, so the hamster seeds are going to have to make do with it

Finnie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Having bred parakeets in my basement for 12 years, and doing a little research on the effects of lack of sunlight, my first reaction was that if the plant grow light had any UV in it, it would be healthy for the hamster.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Having bred parakeets in my basement for 12 years, and doing a little research on the effects of lack of sunlight, my first reaction was that if the plant grow light had any UV in it, it would be healthy for the hamster.

for shorter lived creatures it might be ok, but for longer lived creatures you could be risking diseases like cataracts or skin cancers, some UV is probably ok or even required but too much may cause problems.

Latest posts