Pet Peeve!!!!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
And how many times do the Dr.s on the news say "Soap and water is the BEST THING" ...???? :rolleyes:

I burn candles in my house, mainly because its an old house and for some reason is musty smelling....but they are soy/beeswax, lol

Mostly the windows are wide open, weather permitting.

I clean regularly, and haven't been sick in I don't know how long. I make sure I wash after messing with dogs/chickens. I don't mind if something falls on the floor, I know its not terribly filthy. I don't have Lysol, or other 'things'. And I clean up my messes immediately.

I'm in no way a germaphobe.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
So this is something that has been driving me nuts for a long time, and I thought I'd probably get a sympathetic ear on this one: there is this Lysol commercial that drives me absolutely nuts! It is this mom and her daughter who are in this filthy bathroom (the girl looks like she's about 10, and IMHO, old enough to go to the bathroom by herself!). Anyway, it then flashes to their spotless home bathroom, where they are too scared to touch the toilet handle because there are GERMS in their TOILET!!!!! OMG! The horror!!! Seriously, when did people become such germophobes?? Or was it a fear created by P&G, SC Johnson & the other companies who want us to be scared enough to buy their products? :he

And since when was it bad for your house to smell like nothing but a house? Or maybe fresh air from open windows, not something plugged into a light socket?

Thanks for listening to my rant. I've got something flu-ish, and it's making me pretty cranky, watching bad daytime TV. ;)
I understand your peeve. I hate them too, but i shamefully admit that I have one plugged in my basement. We had water damage down there, and can't afford to fix it right now, so it doesn;t smell so fresh down there.

My peeve is (are) all those swiffer things that you throw away when you are done using them. Wipe the counter then throw it away. dust, then throw it away, dustmop your floor, then throw it away. wash your floor, then throw it away ARGGGGH!

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One of the things I talk about with the girls in my group is that the purpose of EVERY commercial is to make you feel inadequate in some way. Otherwise, why would you buy something.

Another thing I've noticed lately is the paper plate commercials. Apparently, you are a bad mom if you waste precious family time washing dishes.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
And then there are the how to be green articles in the home magazines that aren't really how to be green. Right next to an ad for room deodorizers

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
don't let any of it get to ya'll
don't waste your precious time thinking about it...LOL---that is what I do...move on fast and don't waste precious brain cells I am losing.

Yup, all to make you buy. "they" will hit every emotion when selling...happy buy this, sad, you need this, scared, buy this, good mom, buy that, angry, get this....and spend and spend and spend.

I hear ya on your pet peeve big time!!!!!!

attack-cat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
People that drive 30 mph in the 50 zone out here and you can't pass them because they speed up when you try!!! Argh!!!

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The FilthyWorldOfGermsAndPlague people have even hit my local grocery store. There are sanitizing wipes NEXT TO THE GROCERY CARTS, so that you can clean the obscenely dirty and disease-laden grocery cart handles. For pete's sake, how did we all survive childhood? Between drinking from a garden hose, eating apples straight off the tree, swimming in the Mississippi River (and eating the fish we caught from said river!) I don' t see how I've lived for so long.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just want to say to all the people in the world who think all germs are bad: cleaners dont differentiate what germs they are killing, not all germs are bad. If you are constantly cleaning your house with disinfectants (ie; Bleach), then not only are you killing your good germs, you are probably also doing a number on your septic tank and drainfield.
I will remember all the germophobes when a simple cold germ wipes out the planet. Because I will still be here. :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I sure agree...the more things you are exposed to when younger I swear make ya stronger!!

Heck Nicole already ate some goat poop...LOL...probably ok for the system I am sure..HA HA

But yes, NOT THAT LONG AGO it was acceptable to allow a germ, now....we must buy and waste money on disposable items to stay alive. sad, truly!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
This is all soooo true. I still drink out of the hose, and let my kids do the same. My SIL was telling me how disgusted she was when she had to pull off the side of the road and let her 2 year old son pee in the grass....he had to go really bad and couldn't hold it. UGH....heck, my kids pee outside more than in! "And nothing to wash with!!" OH NO!!!! LOL....seriously, my kids have eaten the standard dog food ration, the occassional ladybug, an earthworm, and tomatoes off the vine. Who cares???

Yes, those wipes by the grocery carts are annoying as well....germaphobes are more crazy than us SS hippy types!! LOL

Latest posts