Pet vaccines

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Does anyone give their dogs their shots themselves? If it's legal in your state anyway. I legally cannot give my dogs their rabies vaccine, but the rest I can. Just curious if anyone does this, what vaccines you give, and where you buy them? :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do, I do! Gosh, I think it's a 8-way or 9-way or 500-way, LOL. I don't remember. But, I need to remember it and get some. It's that time of year. Actually, they're probably overdue. I usually get 'em at Tractor Supply. We can't give Rabies either.

Thanks for the reminder.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol sure thing! I saw a 5 way at TSC, but I think there was one with more vaccines in it. I'll look. Then I have to find out about Lyme... The ticks here are unreal. I was going to make a vet appt then I realized it'll cost probably $300 for both dogs .. or I can bring them to the pet vet at TSC for rabies ($19 each) and do the rest myself... They're healthy so I'm going to save my $$!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Found the 9 way. And most of what I'm reading says not to do the Lyme, so don't have to worry about that. My biggest concerns are rabies and parvo. Foxes have been testing positive for parvo here lately... And I have a lot of foxes!

canesisters

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The last time I checked, it is legal here to give all vaccs at home. However, if you give the rabies vacc at home and you dog bites someone, you don't have the rabies certificate that you get when the vet gives it as proof of vaccination. Which could mean that your dog is quarantined or even destroyed to be tested.

And that brings up another question - does anyone know HOW that rabies exam is done? I was just wondering why they can't get a biopsy from a pet's brain to test instead of killing it. Do they need to examine the whole brain??? Or is it a certain part?? Just curious

Latest posts