1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. American wheat beer - Discussion Threads
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Pet vaccines

Discussion in 'Dogs, Cats and Other Pets' started by NH Homesteader, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Mar 5, 2019
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

Does anyone give their dogs their shots themselves? If it's legal in your state anyway. I legally cannot give my dogs their rabies vaccine, but the rest I can. Just curious if anyone does this, what vaccines you give, and where you buy them? :)

2. Mar 5, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

I do, I do! Gosh, I think it's a 8-way or 9-way or 500-way, LOL. I don't remember. But, I need to remember it and get some. It's that time of year. Actually, they're probably overdue. I usually get 'em at Tractor Supply. We can't give Rabies either.

Thanks for the reminder.

3. Mar 5, 2019
    NH Homesteader

Lol sure thing! I saw a 5 way at TSC, but I think there was one with more vaccines in it. I'll look. Then I have to find out about Lyme... The ticks here are unreal. I was going to make a vet appt then I realized it'll cost probably $300 for both dogs .. or I can bring them to the pet vet at TSC for rabies ($19 each) and do the rest myself... They're healthy so I'm going to save my $$!

4. Mar 5, 2019
    NH Homesteader

Found the 9 way. And most of what I'm reading says not to do the Lyme, so don't have to worry about that. My biggest concerns are rabies and parvo. Foxes have been testing positive for parvo here lately... And I have a lot of foxes!

5. Mar 5, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

That's scary!

6. Mar 5, 2019
    canesisters

canesisters Lovin' The Homestead

The last time I checked, it is legal here to give all vaccs at home. However, if you give the rabies vacc at home and you dog bites someone, you don't have the rabies certificate that you get when the vet gives it as proof of vaccination. Which could mean that your dog is quarantined or even destroyed to be tested.

And that brings up another question - does anyone know HOW that rabies exam is done? I was just wondering why they can't get a biopsy from a pet's brain to test instead of killing it. Do they need to examine the whole brain??? Or is it a certain part?? Just curious