Pets and livestock....pics of daily maintenance?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone(maybe Farmer Chick?) would have some good instructional pics of trimming goat, horse, or cow hooves?

Anyone clip their own pets toenails? (I do!)

Give their own vaccines or injections and would like to post a pictorial of the procedure with captioned explanations?

FC, could you show us some pics of your milking technique and your milking stands?

I would love to document a lot of things like this, but with dial up my uploading is extremely slow, slow, slow.

I just thought it would be interesting and educational~sort of like a magazine quality demonstration if peeps would post good, clear pics of a certain SS process or chore.

Any takers? :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We clip nails on the dog and ferrets here. Not really farm related, though, is it?

Hmmm hadn't thought on the goats needing hooves trimmed...hmmm

We used to vaccinate our own animals. Used to. Then I decided we needed to use the vet lol

BUT we have been talking about going back to doing it ourselves. It is definitely more cost effective to buy vaccinations ourselves.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Most large farmers and a whole lot of smaller farmers will buy their own vaccines and administer and they will clip their own goats and sheeps hooves. As for cattle, I've seen the use of a very cool machine for helping with this, so I would say folks hire that done.

I would also like to see a pictorial of cleaning and trimming horse's hooves if anyone has one! :)

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Most large farmers and a whole lot of smaller farmers will buy their own vaccines and administer and they will clip their own goats and sheeps hooves. As for cattle, I've seen the use of a very cool machine for helping with this, so I would say folks hire that done.

I would also like to see a pictorial of cleaning and trimming horse's hooves if anyone has one! :)
If a cows legs and feet are set correctly and she is on good ground and where she can walk and wear them off natually, you shouldn't have to do much trimming. We have a couple cows that need a trim once a year but, most we never touch. It's one of the things that I have really stressed with the breeding.

Oh, we vaccinate them ourselves too. I just did a newborn calf this morning, had I known I could have done pics for you.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Where I live, the ground is too soft for either the goats or horses to wear down the hooves. I trim both except for one mare who has shoes and needs the shoer.
The goats and horses stand well for this- the goats get trimmed with a nipper that looks like a garden hand pruner. I use a surform for the horses as it is light weight and easier for me to control.
For the horses, I do the natural barefoot trim.

The goats just get the hoof wall trimmed to be level with the sole of their foot so it doesn't fold over and catch dirt and manure.

I do my own vaccinations except for rabies which the vet does. I also didn't do the internasal strangles on the young horses but don't have any more of those left, thank goodness. I got tired of vaccine being blown in my face.

Also do other medications for the goats if they need it, like BoSe for the kids. I copper bolus the goats.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Think you could eventually post a pic by pic instructional one day the next time you do any of these activities? It would be great to see one of our SS people actually doing these types of chores and explaining for others who may want to learn them! :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I could try.
My problem is this---we do most things alone!

Yup, if Tony is trimming goat hooves and worming and vaccines all at the same time, then I am off to handle the chickens and hogs at the other barn.

No one to take the pics.

I need 4, 5, 6, 8 arms. Kinda like that buddha statue thingy from vietnam ---oh heck, whatever that pic is of a woman with 50 arms....never mind..LOL

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Ooooo, or put short video on youtube, even better. Dial-up people can copy down the links and run to the library! Of course, I have no clue how to do this.....

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do our hooves on our goats and our horses (they are barefoot) but I don't have any pics to show of me doing it. Once you get use to doing it and get some confidence in it then it is actually easy I think.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I found a really neat drawing of the steps for trimming a sheep's hooves:

AH651E167.gif

And a link on how to determine the correct angle to trim the hoof of sheep and goats:

http://www.boergoatshome.com/hooves.php

Anyone knowing how to transfer the pics from this link into the thread, please help?