Phaedra's Journal - Eat, Play, Live

Phaedra

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I agree! Instagram? Write a cookbook? You have amazing talent and skill.
Thanks, I once liked to share a lot on FB groups and was also invited to write a cookbook. However, I changed my mind later. Those things can add "followers" or "likes," -- but the number of "followers" or "likes" won't increase the quality of my life. It's not worth investing my precious time in those activities.

I feel comfortable participating in TEG and have a similar feeling here. :D

Phaedra

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today's Dinner - we enjoyed the food very much.
Salmon egg roll / seaweed and broccoli / ginger pork / collection of homemade side dishes / rice

It's impossible for me to get a meal like this in Germany, so the best way is to make it on my own.
1194.jpg

Saturday is the grocery day. The items I bought were mostly those with special offers of the week or a close best-before discount. For example, we got nice European bass, chicken thighs, and pork at an attractive price; plain yogurt, scallions, and raspberries at a 30%~50% discount.
1203.jpg

The discounted Yogurt in the glass jars is my favorite - I love glass jars.
1206.jpg

I am used to making the maximized use of all ingredients. Cats, dogs, chickens, quails, and humans (us) get the proper parts and portions under one budget.

When I prepare our food, I also prepare the ingredients for our cats and dogs.
1202.jpg

This is their portion for about two days.
1201.jpg

The main meal for cats today - they got plain yogurt and egg yolk (from our own hens) as supplements.
1198.jpg

The main meal for dogs today, as they prefer cooked food recently...:p
1197.jpg

I am running a mini family restaurant in a small town, and I'm in love with my current lifestyle.

Phaedra

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My new morning routine - the cats have their first meal (and then go to sleep) while I have my morning tea or coffee and read a bit.
1275.jpg

Like hens, I used to give the cats a little food before they went to bed. They usually have their main meal in the late afternoon.
1274_0.jpg

It's a quality time for both, cats and I.
1280.jpg

After the morning tea time, the bread buns were also ready to be sent into the oven. This is the bread we share with our neighbors on both sides today - honey and walnuts. Instead of egg wash on the surface before baking, I added a thin layer of salted butter after baking - the overall flavor is amazingly balanced.
1272_0.jpg

And, today is a seafood day - nothing fancy, but everything is tasty. Home food never costs a fortune, but it always guarantees satisfaction.
1278_0.jpg

1279.jpg

Homemade sweets also make me happy - Christmas cookies and chocolate pralines.
1276_0.jpg

Phaedra

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Happy New Year!

DH had a 10-day holiday at the end of 2022, and we stayed at home most of the time cleaning, doing groceries, fixing, and enjoying the peaceful atmosphere.

The shops here usually offer a 50% discount for Christmas-related goods. I got two such wooden boxes for five Euros and transformed them (with sandpapers and oil) into practical but lovely utensil storage in our bedroom.

1498_0.jpg

The edges were re-shaped with sandpapers, and the surfaces had an oil bath.
1497_1.jpg

Love them!
1495_0.jpg

I made some Shumai (a steamed Hong Kong cuisine) from scratch today, and it's far easier than I expected. Of course, they are flavorful and yummy.
1545_0.jpg

The filling is made of shrimp, pork, egg, some sesame oil, and salt.
1544_0.jpg

As the first meal of the new year, I'm satisfied.
1543_0.jpg

I started cleaning up the garden and planning what to grow this year. Can't wait to create another 365-day adventure in different kinds of universes - gardening, reading, cooking, sewing, candle-making, etc.