Physical Education & Home Schooling

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
Last year we did Soccer on Friday nights. Free at the park. And Tae Kwon Do... $3 each at the local fitness center. Soccer has not fit into our schedule for this year and I am still debating on TKD. The kids just do not want to practice at home and I am sicking of nagging them to do it so they are not progressing and I am sick of spending $$ for them to just go there and not have any commitment or passion for it.
We have gone camping a couple times this month and the kids rode their bikes EVERYWHERE ALL DAY LONG!!
Having 6 kids gives them someone to play with all the time. I also restrict TV time so that makes that go outside.
Chores and animals are a given at our house.
We take walks and bike rides up and down or ride also.
Nagging sucks. How about quit nagging and enact rewards and punishments. Do you give them an allowance? Make THEM pay for it!

Reward: You refund them their allowance money after "X" accomplishment.

Consequence: They lose the money.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I agree with all the ideas, but I think of phy-ed as also teaching skills that may not be learned through chores.

Like: Balancing, catching, throwing, running, etc.
Agreed. Teaching correct ways to stretch, warm-up, and exercise to avoid injuries!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
tortoise said:
PamsPride said:
Last year we did Soccer on Friday nights. Free at the park. And Tae Kwon Do... $3 each at the local fitness center. Soccer has not fit into our schedule for this year and I am still debating on TKD. The kids just do not want to practice at home and I am sicking of nagging them to do it so they are not progressing and I am sick of spending $$ for them to just go there and not have any commitment or passion for it.
We have gone camping a couple times this month and the kids rode their bikes EVERYWHERE ALL DAY LONG!!
Having 6 kids gives them someone to play with all the time. I also restrict TV time so that makes that go outside.
Chores and animals are a given at our house.
We take walks and bike rides up and down or ride also.
Nagging sucks. How about quit nagging and enact rewards and punishments. Do you give them an allowance? Make THEM pay for it!

Reward: You refund them their allowance money after "X" accomplishment.

Consequence: They lose the money.
Nope! No allowance here!
I already dropped piano lessons because they would not practice without being nagged. The Band leader asked me to at least let them continue in band...mostly because they have no other piano players. I have ranted and raved about band. Why should I spend MY gas money and time to take you to band if you are not even going to practice?? THEN today I show up to band and NO ONE is there!! Did anyone bother to call us and tell us band was cancelled or tell one of my kids or me yesterday at church??? NO!! This is not the first time this has happened! It is like the 3rd or 4th and I have let my displeasure over the last couples of times be known before! This is the Children's Church Band. The worship leader is the leader of the band and there is a regular youth who is in charge of calling us. Gee...everyone else seemed to get the message that there was no band but US! AGAIN!!

Band and TKD are just not things my kids are interested in. We gave them a try like several other activities. They are into Royal Rangers big time! They are very active with the Men's Breakfast stuff....oil change ministry and helping singles and widows (painting houses and yard clean up stuff.)

They have asked me to get them a guitar and lessons because you can use it and sing around the fire and stuff. I told them to get a job and buy their own guitar and lessons because I have invested way to much money in piano already!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We always did treadmill and swimming or walking for P.E. and chores was extra. They'd have both P.E. and chores in P.S. so they did the same at home because they griped about chores being P.E.

chocolate m'scovy

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We just wrote in our portfolioes, "hard outside yard work, running, etc." :D The school district accepted them.... so.... Do you moms have any: weeding? leaf-raking? log-chopping? mowing, etc. to get done? Up and at 'em! ( All them kids, that is. :D)

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I agree with all the ideas, but I think of phy-ed as also teaching skills that may not be learned through chores.

Like: Balancing, catching, throwing, running, etc.
:yuckyuck my children were born as clumsy as me... and most of those things you mentioned just can't be taught no matter how hard you try... :lol:

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
On the cold days, when they are not outside chasing bugs and throwing frisbees or at the park playing with other kids, we turn on the disco music channel and each of us gets to "teach" dancing lessons. It is a workout! We also do yoga together occasionally and talk about what is being stretched, etc.

Once they get older (they are 7 and 5 now), They will eventually be in team sports.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I know my daughter had a game a few years ago that really got the blood pumping. I think it was called Dance, Dance Revolution, or something like that.