Pie!!!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
i seem to have drawn us way off topic here. could we please go back to talking about pies? preferably blackberry? and ice cream? preferably home made? :drool :drool :drool
O.K. pies… not blackberry, sorry. I used to bake chicken pies and perfected my recipe… and then stopped eating chicken meat. To make up for that little problem, I swapped out the chicken meat for duck meat and found that actually worked and tasted better than chicken! The flavour was absolutely amazing. Only problem being the required amount of duck meat cost nearly 5x as much as chicken (in S.A.) I sometimes used turkey meat instead and that also worked o.k. though it didn't taste as good!

Have any of you made duck pies yet? Like you would a chicken and mushroom pie?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Would it be terribly off topic to ask why you stopped eating chicken?

I do chicken pot pie...I've done it with turkey too. Yum... I should make some this week! I've only eaten duck once but not in a pie!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Back on "pie" topic. Has anyone made rhubarb pie? I watched someone years (almost 40) make one and it was the easiest thing as well as I can remember.

Juanita's Rhubarb Pie

1. First she cut the rhubarb into thin slices.
2. Next she tossed the rhubarb slices into a 1 1/2 cup of sugar and about 1/2 cup flour.
3. She put about 1/2 butter slices on the bottom of the crust.
4. Topped it with the rhubarb, flour, sugar mixture.
5. Lastly she topped it with another unbaked crust. Seal the edges and put some vent holes in the top crust.

I'm not sure about what temp and for how long but I would think maybe 350 degrees and an hour long. ???

I've never been able to grow or even find rhubarb but I would love to because I've never forgot how good it was.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Strawberry rhubarb pie is my favorite thing! It also gives me horrible heartburn... I don't know why, but it's so worth it!

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One of the country stores where we sell our products makes over 30 varieties of pies...all made on sight. People come from miles around for their pies.

6589677347_fc5100df28_b.jpg

IMG_53761.jpg

village-farmer-and-bakery.jpg

• Apple
  • Apple Crumb
  • Apple Walnut
  • No Sugar Apple
  • Blueberry
  • Blueberry Crumb
  • No Sugar Blueberry
  • Cherry
  • Cherry Crumb
  • Cherry Cheesecake Tart
  • Coconut Custard
  • Fruit of the Forest
  • NS Fruit of the Forest
  • Fruit of the forest crumb
  • Mixed Berry
  • Mixed Berry Crumb
  • Lemon Meringue
  • Peach
  • Peach Crumb
  • Pecan
  • Pumpkin
  • Pumpkin Crumb
  • Pumpkin Cream Cheese
  • Red Raspberry
  • Red Raspberry Crumb
  • Strawberry Rhubarb
  • Shoo - Fly
  • Sweet Potato
  • And Many More!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@NH Homesteader I found it very hard to cook chicken meat with a brooder full of chicks a few feet away! Then reading about the things that went into raising broilers on a commercial scale in S.A. and what went into the meat itself was enough to put me off buying chicken. Eating my own was not an option for me, so I stopped altogether. It's been about 9 years now.

@MoonShadows :drool I'd travel to go support those bakers too!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh that makes sense. If DH wasn't around to butcher chickens, I wouldn't eat them either. Or turkey... Frankly I would probably be a mostly vegetarian!

Oh gosh those pies....

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I LOVE canning up apple pie filling!!
I bought some 1/2 gallon Ball jars and canned up apple juice. You wash and cut up the apples, add sugar and cinnamon sticks, then pour into the jars and can. I'm hoping to use my wine maker this year and see about some cidar. TOTALLY yum!!!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That sounds like a great way to use up a glut of apples… Apple pies are so nice!