Pie!!!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WalMart has them here. Shipped in from somewhere.....but, they've been good at all the demos I've done this past month.

Ahhhhh.....frozen will probably give you USA grown. Maybe.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I still have some frozen from the wild bushes in the woods behind my house. I fight the bears for them. If I don't check every day, a whole bunch disappear thanks to my not so good friend mama bear.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
BEAR??!! That's not even cool! That' scary! I don't think I'd like a bear that close! Geeze.... You should probably move south, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol! It's actually a real problem. They are in our yard all the time. One walked up and stared at me through the living room window once. It was intense. We lost 4 or so bags of grain last year too. Alfalfa pellets? Really, bear?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do not go outside around dusk without a gun, particularly early spring and late fall. The only good thing about winter is the bears hibernating!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dang --- I don't do bears!!!! Might be the only good thing to be said for the cold, which I don't like either, that they hibernate.

Nope, southern gal here. I do live near the Great Dismal Swamp where there is a sizeable number of black bear. It's about 30 mile to edge, as a crow flies. But with so much built up in between they rarely venture out in this direction. Rather, they go into the preserve and remain there, several thousand acres of wildlife with rangers and all that.

I have some wild blackberries here on the farm. Thorny little rascals.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When we moved here 22 years ago, the old woman living in the little house next to ours (that we eventually bought and added to our property when she died) used to feed all kinds of wildlife....cracked corn for the deer, marshmallows and peanuts for the raccoons, peanut butter smeared on the trees for the birds and birdfeeders. One evening a black bear was just about to rip down one of her feeders when she appeared out the back door...about 15 feet from the bear....hollering, "I told you to stay away from my birdfeeders!" and tossed the bear a small slab of bacon. It worked, the bear went over and ate the bacon, and she closed the door.

Another time there was a bear in her backyard, so I grabbed my camera, opened the kitchen door, stepped out on the stoop to snap the picture when I noticed another bear about 10 feet to my left just looking at me. I never moved so fast in my life!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was waiting another week to pick the majority of my blackberries and dang it if a bear didn't get them first. He/she did leave big piles of scat, lol. The berries grow around the pond in front of my house. Kind of scary knowing one was so nearby. DH and the Wildbunch saw it a few times moseying around in the spring.