Pink Fox: its Raining...IN MY HOUSE! :/

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well some updates...

Today im going to go look at the house my dad wants to buy...thats this afternoon and im kind of excited, both for them an about it...i LIKE looking at houses lol. people think im weird but if i see signs for open houses sometimes i just stop...i think its partially my internal interior decorator and ladsaper, i like looking at what others have one and getting ideas lol.
im also excited about the prospect of having them here neer by...mum found anohter house she likes a little further north that would be just a little bit further away but not by much but i couldnt get charters sevice finder working so ive emailed...its aboslutly useless if it doesnt have high speed internet for dad. but if it oes ill make arrangments to go see that one this week too.

ive madea little headway in the dozer issue.
not realy but kinda at least.
his suden reations to certain stimuli had me thining that SOME of his issue could be hearing related. after taling with a vet (the closest baer facility is nashville) i found out a frine of hers was in training to become a baer tester, about 30 mins north of jackson and ha all the equiptment...she was looking for dogs to practice with, both confirmed normal hearing, cofirmed deaf and anything in between...she made some calls for me and the vet offered to test him for just the cost of a basic office visit (the test is NoT cheap normally). glad i didnt sign him up for ob class yet because there whent that money lol) anywho. she id a web cam session with her mentor in knoville, he had to haveamidl seative because he wouldnt sit still lol. (its none invasive but does require being hooked up to some electrodes to scan the brains reaction to sound stimuli delivered by little foam earbuds lol.
she didnt want to tell me the results untill she ha her mentor recheck them for her to be sure...
results came in last night...and he DOES have hearing issues.
his left side has 70% hearing loss, likely genetic and pigment related (that ear is white), given the results and his age they expect him to have 100% hearing loss in that side by the time hes 2 yrs old...
his right side is a 5% loss, (1/2 black half white ear), however based on the results they cant say for certain if hell loose hearing completly n that sie but if he does itll be a LONg time...hell likely only be partial loss in that side for the majority of his life.

this does explainhis sudden agressive outburst with the kitten who jumped next to him while he was sleeping in my lap...it also explains his reactio to jack jack, he hears certain pitches better than others, and jack jack climbingdown the bars of the cage likely sounds ALot closer than it actually is...his main issue with jack jack typically comes when hes laying by or sat with his back towards jack jacks cage.
now obviously this is not a cure all iagnois, it nly explains some of his reactions...

we also do belive that he is a same sex agressive resource guarder too...
this is what his issue with jasper is...JASPEr is Not innocent in any way shape or for,jasper feels he is dominant male, and does frequently challege dozer by staring at him and/or growling...
dozer however being reactive like he is then takes the challenge and runs with it once in a while...

so right now the pan is as follows.
1: continue seperating when i cant be 110% in control of the given situation, this means not only when im not home, but when im making/eating inner, doing chores ect...
2: continue enforcing the dozer not allowed on MY chair...
3: more training with dozer focusing more on the hand signals ive already been teaching
4: more excersize for dozer...a tired dog is a quiet dog lol.

ill never trust dozer and jasper together...EvER...
BUT this diagnosis givesme a starting point to work from.

hmm what else...
oh im planning out my kitchen to get that finnihsed up...
i want to get an 18" base cabinate for next to the cooker, checked the price at lowes and now i find out theres a habitat for humanities re-store in jackson, so next time im heading up that way ill be checking there too...there often 50-70% off retail.
i priced up the tile for the backsplash and 4" glazed white is going to be my go to of hoice with a black edge tile to finnish off the few small spots that will need a finnished edge.
id like to do a mural tile peice behind the stove but cost it a little scary so im thinking of making my own. and doing either a black and white checker board to match the floor, or a rooster :)
easy enough to do with some oven bake enamal and enamal glaze, draw out, paint and bake, cool, glaze bake again and put up as you would normal tile.
the tile should only coat abotu $20 to do the entire room...obviously cost of mortar and grout on that too but still shouldnt be too bad.
second coat of paint on the walls and finnish up the cabinat i didnt paint yet and the new cabinate and trim and it should look pretty in there :)
id like to put a shelve above the window and add a little valance on the window and door to bring some color in toobut those are little things that cna be done whenever.

planning out my rabbit colony...need 200ft of welded wire to do the fence and the floor...planning 100ft of 4ft tall for the floor, and then 100ft of 3ft tall for the walls...will then put in 5t t-posts and put a strand of electric along the top to stop anything tring to climb in.
ust got to figue out 1: where its going and 2: how im going to pay for it lol.

and now the weather is getting coldre my thoughts are tuning to the inside rpojects...got the paint for the bathroom and bedrooms so i can start thinking about doing those...

bathroom i need 2 12" deep cabinates, a new sink and to remove the board around the shower and potentially new wetrock those walls and tile...
thats going to be a more expensive project so itll likely be the last.

but thats what winter does to me lol.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well, the house was ridiculously big and beautiful...
in ground pool, 15 stall barn, 10 acres, most of it fenced (though its barbed and would eventually want changing out for somehting a little more general livestock frinedly espcially with horses)
house is sat at the back of the property so its seriously peacefull...
definatly has the space, and i think if they can get them down on the price its a definate possibility.

otherwise the day has been fairly quiet...

making sirloin and baked potatoe for dinner :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Glad you got some answers w/Dozer.

And, your dinner sounds better than mine! Beef has gotten so expensive that I rarely buy it any more. :(

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad you got the scoop on Dozer's hearing issues. The house/land sounds awesome! How's the goat breeding coming along?

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i always keep my eyes open for the "get it off the shelves before the health inspector comes for us" sales...a 1/2lb peice of sirloin makes 2 meals and when i get it on sale for $2 and change a lb i jump on it lol. its a nice once in a while change to chicken lol, epecially since i prefer (and need as its higher in b's) red meat.
speaking of b's my arm aches fomr yesterdays bshot...this is going to be a monthly thing now as even 5000ius sublingually a day only had my Bs at about 1/4 o where they SHOULD be at minimum fo a normal person...*sigh* silly B's

the house is definatly lovely, got a huge basment, and a geat space that could eaisly be turned ito a music studio for dad and a nice big kitchen, though they will have to bring thier apliances form CT as the apliances were outdated...new fridge but otherwise not up to the standards of the house LOL!.
we'll see, price is higher than dad wants to spend so itll definatly depend on what the sellers willing to come down to. lol.

sure is pretty though :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I do the same thing when shopping for meat. But, I think I need to get there earlier in the day. I got some beef cubes yesterday on sale, but it's not really enough for a meal. So, I tossed them in the freezer until I get more to add to it. I did break down and buy some steak. It cost more a lb than I really wanted to spend, but I figure if I just eat 1 a week (w/out hubby knowing :hide), that gives me steak once a week. I just may take them out to the farm and cook them there over a fire.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
over the fire sounds delicious Deb!!!
as a woman you should definalty make sure you get good red meat once a week minimum, between the B's folates and iron its supposedly even more important for a woman.
there you go...its "medication" LOL

mum and dad looked at the pictures last night and the movie i took of the house...i think we have a winner.
dad couldnt get over the place, i think the firs tpicture he saw of the property looking off the front porch kinda did it for him lol. the rest was just icing on the cake. mum realy liked the house too...

Even my sister liked it...though when she found out its a whopping 30 mins or so from the nearest large town she started to get upset again...*rolls eyes*

the way its set up the basement would make a perfect "big kid play room" big tv, game systems urround sound comfy seating ect, theres a room down there that would be great for steven too giving him the quiet hide aayhe likes but gettig the game systems out of his seeping area
theres a concrete block storm room down in the basment too thats about the size of my livingroom...lol.
on the main level is a laundry room, formal dining room that could be perfect as an office for dad, a 1/2 bath, a huge eat in kitchen, nice livingroom, sun room and gorgeous master suite with the jetted tub mums always wanted.
then upstairs theres a smaller bedroom with a large walk in closet that would make a nice guest room, a huge room currently occupied by a teenage girl that would likely be bizzies room, a full bath with a soaking tub, and a large bonus room over the garage that could make an excelent music studio as not only is it not over the rest of the house (jus the garage) it has exterior acess, which means if in doubt dad could give guitar lesons ect in that space and not have people trapsing through the house.
of course thats the room bizzy decided she wants because it has sloped ceilngs and she likes that, but i think it would be a waste of space for her (and it doesnt have any closets and just a little storage under the eaves.)

then theres the pool, and a cabana, and a litle pool side storage building for all the pool toys/patio furniture ect...
theres a patio off the basement, and one off the back of the sunroom/garage.
a 15 stall horse barn and huge workshop, a round pen and the entire 12 acres is fenced with 4 strand barbed for horses. (obviously that would eventually get changed out depending on what livestock he decided he wanted to put in.

plenty of room for some hoop houses down by the main road for a little nursery buisness and some little pools for growing out koi, a produce stand would also easily go down neer the road, a small pond that woudl easily hold a few catfish for growing some extra food, plenty of room for a garen spot and a chicken coop.
dad definatly wants horses and thinks he could make a little money renting some of the stables out too, but hes also thinking of as many was as possible to make the land lay for itself as well as be enjoyable for him when hes home from traveling all week.
he wants critters but they have to pay for themselves...so would love some thoughts on god livestock to raise on about 8-10 acres (after dedicating space to the house and barn and a spot for greenhouses, garden ect it takes a bit of land from the 12 lol) that would pay for itself...beef and dairy cattle have crossed his mind (im thinking mabe dexters or mini dairy cows (they are so expensive that if the market holds i see alot of potential there, but also because me and mum woudl be taking care of them during the week while hes away...) im thinking sebbie geese, dad loves geese and they are still marketing high for eggs and goslings...
but yeah any thoughts would be great :)

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
please keep fingers crossed, got someone comming tomorrow morning to look at the linnies, loking for a little bird for his daughter, talked about how it needs to be a family pet, and i just spent some time playing with both and think i know which one im going to sell them (sunny) shes the calmer of the 2 and unlike tink who soto busy trying to expre sunny will actually sit with you and tweep at you. i thinktink will be great with some extra handling, but i thing for what they are looking for sunny is the better choice. :)
so fingers crossed. if she goes home in the morning it should give me enough oney to get the supplies to build the colony space for the rabbits...
which given that now both blackbery AND strawberry are trying to chew their way to freedom (though the flat walls, not even at corners lol) the time for change is upon us lol. going to use the materials off the hutches to make a little feeding station in each colony and a sheltered area.

ill be using plastic storage totes partialy burried as nest boxes (partially burried will help keep the temerature inside stable and using the totes means i can easily just lift the lids to see whats going on inside.

and then the plan will be to set up a heated bucket with some of those nipple waterer tips for chickens (there used to rinking fro a bottle so that shouldnt be an issue) and i wont have the freezing water bottle issue anymore.

each colony will e 1 buck to currently 2 does, but hoping to add 2 more does to each group in the spring.
itll have a welded wire floor so they can still have grass but not dig out, a 3ft fence around and then a strand of electric on top and on the outside about 6-8" above ground to keep preators from digging/climbing in. itll be under the oak trees to that should help keep birds of prey out for the most part and theyll have lots of hidey cubbies, tubes ect to run through, hide in ect.

fingers crossed

marybrown

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Definitely believe that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people consider worries that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:fl

Hope the folks that are coming fall in looooooooooove with Sunny - may she steal their hearts!

I'm going to be interested in how your colony rabbitry works out. Many, many (many) years ago my kiddos had rabbits. They like to let them out to play in the yard and you know how rabbits are. At first they holed up under the house - nice and cool and being rabbits - they reproduced. We blocked off access to the house and they started nesting under a pile of tree debris piled in a corner waiting to be burned - they reproduced. When that litter was grown we burned the pile and they started nesting in the garden - they reproduced! Weird thing was - we were never really over run. The little ones would simply grow up and .... ummm... disappear, lol! It worked really well even though colony breeding was never our intention.