Pj homestead

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our thoughts: For sure, we will build a stand for it. I'm trying to think about designing an extension on the lever that would be hinged or have an arc to it so that you could push that down, with the end of the extension engaging the button. I think the ergonomics of this thing are just about as horrid as they can be. When the unit is on the ground, as you bend over to engage the lever and button, that places your face directly over the log as it travels down the trough. How stupid is that? Then, there's the whole bending over part. And I get that... even with a large gas powered splitter, there's the bend over/stress the back factor. Not as much of an issue for me, since I'm vertically challenged. But, I couldn't even use it for half an hour without paying for it severely with joint pain.

Given that hubby has had 2 back surgeries, and now has a shoulder that severely limits him, and that I've had shoulder surgery, neither one of us are able to split wood with axe or maul now. Even in my best younger years, trying to split with axe or maul would have resulted in loss of toes! Coordination is not my strong suit. So, we'll continue to work with this splitter to figure out how best to manage it.
Yes the ergonomics are horrible. My other brother has his on a shorter stand and sits in a chair when he uses it.

I also find the ram doesn't go up far enough. I have a junk of wood that I use when splitting shorter junks I attach it to the ram with a bungee so I dont have to keep moving it back. I also like to have a table or the wheelbarrow next to the splitter so I have somewhere to lay the wood as I'm splitting in stead of having to keep bending down to get wood off the ground.
I also bought the 4 way splitter attachment it works good but i find with green wood it tends to jam up. I also find the 2 side cutters sit to low. I usually put something under it to raise it up a bit. I'm thinking about drilling a whole in the top plate and threading it so I can put a bolt in it to adjust the hight. This is the one I have

Another tip if your junk of wood is not cut straight across and if the angled end is towards the ram make sure the pointer end is facing down not up because if its facing up the junk of wood has a tendency to pop up and if u are leaning over it it could be dangerous. Also don't let anyone stand behind the splitting wedge when splitting hard wood as they can pop really easy and the junks will fly past the wedge like they were shot out of a gun.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't think the 4 way attachment is available for our splitter. Looks like your model is a bit more rugged, and better design than ours.

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Many of our pieces are cut crooked on both ends. I tell you, our wood is JUNK, this year!
I cut my own wood. I'm slower than I used to be and dont lift heavy logs anymore as the arthritis is getting worse each year. I use the winch on my atv or a come along to hall logs out and if the log is too big I junk it in the woods. I really enjoy cutting my own I find it very peaceful. I'm actually waiting for the pond to freeze as I have wood that I cut last year in the woods on the far side of the pond the only way to get to it is by boat or across the ice. I have hauled many a boat load of wood across the pond in the summer months but those days are behind me now. It's easier to cut and stack it and wait till winter then haul it across the ice.

I got a bonus this year. Hydro had a crew cutting back the growth under the pole lines along the roads in our area they dont take the wood they just cut it and somewhat limb it and leave it where it falls. They told us that if anyone wants the wood we can take it. I got almost 3 cords of free wood out of it. I could have got more but I had to go to town for doctors appointments right in the middle of it. But I cant complain 3 cords free is great.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I cut my own wood. I'm slower than I used to be and dont lift heavy logs anymore as the arthritis is getting worse each year. I use the winch on my atv or a come along to hall logs out and if the log is too big I junk it in the woods. I really enjoy cutting my own I find it very peaceful. I'm actually waiting for the pond to freeze as I have wood that I cut last year in the woods on the far side of the pond the only way to get to it is by boat or across the ice. I have hauled many a boat load of wood across the pond in the summer months but those days are behind me now. It's easier to cut and stack it and wait till winter then haul it across the ice.

I got a bonus this year. Hydro had a crew cutting back the growth under the pole lines along the roads in our area they dont take the wood they just cut it and somewhat limb it and leave it where it falls. They told us that if anyone wants the wood we can take it. I got almost 3 cords of free wood out of it. I could have got more but I had to go to town for doctors appointments right in the middle of it. But I cant complain 3 cords free is great.

if you're really lucky you can sometimes find those tree trimming services who are happy to come dump wood chips if they can get easy access in and out. it can save them a longer trip to a dump someplace.

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
if you're really lucky you can sometimes find those tree trimming services who are happy to come dump wood chips if they can get easy access in and out. it can save them a longer trip to a dump someplace.
Lol I got a load when they were here

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've been begging for 4 years. Can't even get them dumped here when they are trimming ON MY ROAD! And, I have easy access.

Had a landscaper offer to dump them at $20/cu.yd. Crazy.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My DD uses wood in her fireplace -- which is one with a blower and metal line unit, easily heats her mobile home -- but she has a gas powered splitter that works horizontal or vertical. Plus, while there is some wood at the back of my farm, adjacent is about 20 acres of woodland that we have permission to harvest. Most is hardwood that is in an area too grown to farm, especially since these are mature trees. We have been able to supply her needs without issue. I go help remove what she has cut up, using my tractor to pull out, load up and move. Then we dump or pull it at her splitter area.

This year a storm brought down some big stuff, so we've harvested logs that will be enough to supply her next year, too. In fact, a few more lay in waiting for us to be able to get in there with the winter die back of undergrowth. We'll be pulling out later this month. Also, the farmer has taken his cotton crop off the adjoining open space, will soon cut the growth and we can get things moving along again.

It's a lot of work but sure keeps the winter heat coming and the utility bills down. She has a battery powered chainsaw that is amazing. Alas, some of the really big stuff we need the gas saw for size.

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today was a great day the weather was nice again but we will pay for that tomorrow lol.
My brother who bought the land across the road came up today with his excavator to do start a road into his land. While he was here he leveled some ground for me filling in some big holes. He also did some more grubbing and got the ground ready for the shed that will be the sheeps new home. Just have to get it moved into place. A job for the come along.

Latest posts