1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Homemade weed killer - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Pj homestead

Discussion in 'Member's "Self Sufficient Living" Journals' started by Pjhomestead, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Apr 23, 2019
    Pjhomestead

Pjhomestead Lovin' The Homestead

My nighttime project.
    20190422_221020.jpg
    I have our chicken run fully inclosed with 1/2 inch chicken wire around the bottom then netting the rest of the way up and plastic netting over the top to keep the hawks and eagles out. Some of the netting did not survive the winter so I have started to make my own to replace the plastic. It's slow going but its actually relaxing and helps pass the time especially on those nights that I cant seem to sleep.

2. Apr 23, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

Oh wow - that's a cool skill!

Pjhomestead likes this.
  3. Apr 23, 2019
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

That's like mending fishing nets. :)

Pjhomestead likes this.
  4. Apr 23, 2019
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

That is a very handy skill!

Pjhomestead likes this.
  5. Apr 23, 2019
    Pjhomestead

I learned how to do it a few years ago. I wanted a traditional casting net and decided to try making one. I watched YouTube videos and gave it a try. My first net didn't turn out very good but the next one was much better. I will have to get it out and post a pic

tortoise, baymule and sumi like this.
  6. Apr 23, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Almost Self-Reliant

Can you post a "how to" link to your netting? I have huge issue with hawk predation, even in snow months. Forced me to stop exclusively free ranging. So, part of the run has been turned into a "winter run" with green house tarp over one peaked section and 2 x 4" wire fencing over the rest of that area. After snow season, I put up standard bird netting over the rest of the run, but hate working with the stuff. I think a 2" grid would keep the hawks out. As you know, even 2 x 4 fencing is not impervious to snow build up. I am sometimes out at midnight knocking snow down during a blizzard.

I have a nice fish net frame that needs to be re-netted. So, your skill would be very handy. (I use the fish net to catch birds during processing)

So how did your casting net work? I don't think it's legal to use those here... but... I'm not a fisherwoman, so really don't know the rules and regs. Yet an other skill I need to add to my repertoire.

7. Apr 23, 2019
    Pjhomestead

When I started net making I watched several video's some were better than others. I will try and find the one I liked and post a link

I am very happy with my cast net. I have made a few more since. 20190423_100221.jpg 20190423_100231.jpg 20190423_100253.jpg

baymule and sumi like this.
  8. Apr 24, 2019
    Pjhomestead

I cant find the video I used but this one is not bad.

I tie my knot differently than in the video. This probably wont make sense till you watch the video but when making the net loops you will have 3 lines of twine meet at your mesh gauge. Everything I do is the same as what he does only I add an extra step. When he brings the needle under the right 2 lines he pulls it tight to make the knot. I don't. For my knot once you go under the 2 lines I go around again and put the needle under the first line only then pull tight. The reason I do this is I find that when you only go under the 3 lines the knot can sometimes. I believe the knot he makes is called the sheep bend by adding the extra step it becomes a double sheep bend

9. Apr 24, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Almost Self-Reliant

Sweet. Thanks for that video. I may use this info to re-twine my net! Good winter project.

Pjhomestead likes this.
  10. Apr 24, 2019
    Pjhomestead

Some pics of the pygmy goats house. It still needs siding and tin on the roof. Which will be done once the weather cooperates freezing rain yesterday and today with the same expected for tomorrow.
    20190423_095326.jpg
    Hay feeder on left side once you go in
    20190423_090059.jpg
    Right side of door is there water, salt and mineral block and a half wall which provides a wind break to their sleeping area
    20190423_090110.jpg
    And behind the half wall is a shelf they sleep on and on the far wall is another door to give me easy access for cleaning
    20190423_090250.jpg
    This is Marty and in the center of the roof is s peice of green house sheeting giving them a sky light
    20190423_090209.jpg
    Missy says I hope you liked the tour of our house
    20190423_092858.jpg

And so he's not left out Max says hi to
    IMG_4647.jpg