Pj homestead

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just discovered that one of the roof panels in the greenhouse was damaged in the high winds we had the other day. I will put a peice of plywood over it for now as I will have to go to town for a new panel

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The new addition to the funny farm.
We just got 2 11 week old silver Americana's a hen and roo. They will be moved into our isolation coop today for a little while. Then into one of the broody pens in the main coop until the summer then I will build them their own coop and run.
View attachment 12868
How old are they?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hope you get the greenhouse panel replaced without a lot of trouble. Beautiful chickens!

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Spent today hauling cattle for my friend. We brought them back from the summer pasture to the farm for the winter. Long day one calf jumped the fence from the holding pen twice but lots of fun. Luckily the heavy rain held off till the last load was loaded.
20191215_150949.jpg
20191215_140236.jpg
20191215_140243.jpg

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just cut about 8lb of moose for jerky it's now marinating in the fridge and a moose roast is almost done in the oven. As soon as that's done it's off to bed. Tomorrow I will assemble the plucker and get everything ready to process the turkeys on Tuesday. Looking forward to getting the barn back so the goats can move in.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our son in law went to Alaska to visit his cousin and came back with moose steak. Moose is delicious. But there is none in Texas!

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our son in law went to Alaska to visit his cousin and came back with moose steak. Moose is delicious. But there is none in Texas!
Moose is delicious one of my favorites. I can only get a license to hunt moose every 3-4 years unless I apply for remote areas then I could get a license every year but its cost prohibitive for me. The licenses are issued each year by a priority pool draw. Each year you move up to the next pool which increases your chances. In the areas around me a single hunter usually has a 3-4 year wait a group license is around a 2 year wait. One moose can provide a great amount of meat. Our caribou herds are declining so its harder to get a license for them. I can get a license for black bear every year but dont bother as I'm the only one in the family that likes it.

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well the Christmas turkeys are all processed some are already picked up now to deliver the rest and clean out the barn. Then finish the fencing and the goats can move in.
Thinking about building another barn just for turkeys. Didn't realize the demand we didn't advertise that we had them but in the last few days I have had over 100 messages on facebook looking for turkeys. Amazing how word of mouth gets around.