Planting by the moon phases

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm reading a gardening book. And, one of the things it covers is planting by the phases of the moon. They don't really go into much detail on it, but basically, if the edible part grows about ground, you plant when the moon is waxing. If the edible part is below ground, you plant when the moon is waning.

I know there have been years that I've planted onions sets and when I've taken them out in the fall, they're basically the same size as when I planted them! And, I know there are years when I have a really great garden, and other years when I don't. Or, some of the plants will do great, but not all.

So, I'm wanting to give this a try. Does anyone else follow the moon's phases when planting, or tried it? If so, what kind of results did you have. And, is there more to it than this?

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Found this guide on line, so I'm going to follow it and see how it goes. I'll post updates as I go along, and let everyone know how I do w/it.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This sounds really interesting. I may give it a try. I wonder where they get this information from.

Last year I had so much trouble trying to get my pole beans to sprout. I wondered if they were rotting in the ground so I started some in those little plastic cells. I still couldn't get any to come up. So I went to try to buy some from the farmers market and one lady acted shocked that I couldn't start pole beans! So I came home and started digging up the cells to see what was going on with the seeds. There weren't any seeds in there so I thought I watered them so much that they rotted. I replanted directly into the garden and this time they came up. The funny thing is I started finding pole bean plants in the strangest places. Mainly in many different planter boxes I had. Turns out a squirrel STOLE my bean seeds and "re-hid" them.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
And here I was thinking a mouse! :lol: I got enough of the garden done so I can get onions in tomorrow. I only have a 8'x28' section left to weed, then I just need to get the bunny poop and old hay/manure from the goats and spread that all over. I'll probably do some of it tomorrow B4 I put the onions in.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have read about the moon phases, but have never planted by the moon. Mostly things got done when I could get to them. But I do believe in births by the moon. Animals that are due, look for a full moon and keep a close eye on them. I had my kids on a full moon. My son was born in Longview on a full moon and there were 27 babies born that night and 32 the next. Nurses worked double shifts, they said it happened every full moon. Now where's that almanac?...............

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I used to plant by the moon. Don't have a clue why I quit, probably just got busy or had to do it before it rained, etc

There is so much here that is affected by the moon. Just ask my husband. :lol:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Planting by the moon makes a lot of sense IMO. I should get back into it, but it is a LOT to learn and remember!!! Just think about how the moon affects the tides, and how it's very likely not just the sea waters affected, and planting by the moon makes total sense. When the water table is higher it could drown root crops before they get a chance to get started well, or if it's low, how it could affect strong root system establishment on above ground crops. It just makes sense to me :hu

Denim Deb

Reaction score
That's why I like this chart! I don't have to learn anything, just read and follow. :lol:

I'm wondering if it also has something to do w/horse hooves. My guys are due to be trimmed next Friday, but they don't look to need it.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I remember having to help set fence posts "by the signs" as well as the planting- and animal-related chores, the weather itself being ignored. I hated it. Never seemed to make any real difference, but as always, YMMV. No offense intended to anyone who swears by these charts.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I know there have been times when I've done fence posts when it was easier than others. I've had times when I've dug a hole and didn't have enough dirt to fill it back up, and other times when there was more than enough. And, I've always heard that it depending on the time of the full moon as to whether or not you could fill a hole back up. So to me, it makes sense to explore the idea.

I was talking to a lady in my church about this. She swears by it. She and her husband used to farm. She insisted on planting this one cucumber field at a certain time. Her husband ignored her advice on planting another field. The field they did her way had great cukes, the other, nothing.