Planting by the moon phases

nelson castro

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Planting by the moon is an idea as old as agriculture, based both in folklore and superstition, but there are scientific ideas to back it up. Just as the moon pulls the tides in the oceans, it also pulls upon the subtle bodies of water, causing moisture to rise in the earth, which encourages growth. The highest amount of moisture is in the soil at this time, and tests have proven that seeds will absorb the most water at the time of the full moon.

DeniseCharleson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
nelson castro said:
... tests have proven that seeds will absorb the most water at the time of the full moon.
I'd like to read about those tests. Do you have a citation for any published article about them?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
It makes sense. Worming with the full moon is also optimal.
I'll have to save this and remember it when we start planting someday! :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Well, I'm back on schedule for planting. Today, I transplanted some peppers and eggplants, planted beans, and replanted some squash, etc that didn't come up.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You go girl! I'm going to need to get a few last minute things tucked in, and a few others re-planted.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm hoping to spend a lot of time working in the garden this week, and if i do, it should be pretty much under control. I'll just need to plant more corn, beans, etc. I don't plant it all at once so I can spread the harvest out-and not have to freeze all of it at once!

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My Grandpa in Ohio also swore by planting according to the moon. He was able to raise 10 children just by doing farming. And he didn't even have a tractor!!

Here is a photo of him and my dad... from back in the 1940's

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I always plant by the signs now. I didn't one year and my garden failed miserably,..won't do that again. I'm in no way superstitious, but I do believe the moon has a way of making those seeds and new transplants really thrive. ;) IMO that is.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
nelson castro said:
Planting by the moon is an idea as old as agriculture, based both in folklore and superstition, but there are scientific ideas to back it up. Just as the moon pulls the tides in the oceans, it also pulls upon the subtle bodies of water, causing moisture to rise in the earth, which encourages growth. The highest amount of moisture is in the soil at this time, and tests have proven that seeds will absorb the most water at the time of the full moon.
So you are claiming that the tides are higher at a full moon. Full moon is when the moon is opposite the sun so the allignment is Sun -Earth- moon so why would the tide be higher than at New moon when the alignment would be Sun-Moon- Earth? at new moon both Sun and moon are pulling water toward the Sun but at Full moon the sun and moon are pulling in opposite directions. Planting by the moon may well work but your reason does not/~gd

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
baymule said:
I have read about the moon phases, but have never planted by the moon. Mostly things got done when I could get to them. But I do believe in births by the moon. Animals that are due, look for a full moon and keep a close eye on them. I had my kids on a full moon. My son was born in Longview on a full moon and there were 27 babies born that night and 32 the next. Nurses worked double shifts, they said it happened every full moon. Now where's that almanac?...............
You don't suppose that there might be more Hanky-panky because of the full moon 9 months earlier? Also check with cops there is more crime at nights with a full moon?