Planting grocery store garlic?

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Im fairly certain you can start garlic in the fall, to overwinter in the ground for next years harvest. This may not apply in places where the ground freezes rock solid, but in the milder zones I believe it holds true.

Store bought cloves bulbs are sure cheaper than "seed" types that is certain. That they come from China 'aint so hot :( but, after the first season - they are all yours.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Good time to resurrect this thread, as fall garlic planting time is approaching (at least in some climates) :)

Yes, you can plant grocery store garlic and much of the time it will grow... HOWEVER I question the pointfulness of it under most circumstances. You can get much better varieties to plant -- tastier, better locally adapted. The only thing I can really say for it is that it's softneck and will therefore tend to store better than most hardneck varieties -- but even if you want to grow some softneck garlic (althouh really the hardnecks taste better IMO, and at least up here they grow better too) you can still find better varieties for your garden. Chinese softneck garlics tend to be very picky in their growing requirements, and in a typical garden will often produce just a small bulb, possibly not even multi-cloved. And of course are not as tasty as a lot of otehr types.

If you're looking past the current season, then apparently-cheaper is not really an issue either, since once you multiply some garlic up, it's yours in whatever amount you want for 'free'.

JMHO,

Pat

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Good time to resurrect this thread, as fall garlic planting time is approaching (at least in some climates) :)

Yes, you can plant grocery store garlic and much of the time it will grow... HOWEVER I question the pointfulness of it under most circumstances. You can get much better varieties to plant -- tastier, better locally adapted. The only thing I can really say for it is that it's softneck and will therefore tend to store better than most hardneck varieties -- but even if you want to grow some softneck garlic (althouh really the hardnecks taste better IMO, and at least up here they grow better too) you can still find better varieties for your garden. Chinese softneck garlics tend to be very picky in their growing requirements, and in a typical garden will often produce just a small bulb, possibly not even multi-cloved. And of course are not as tasty as a lot of otehr types.

If you're looking past the current season, then apparently-cheaper is not really an issue either, since once you multiply some garlic up, it's yours in whatever amount you want for 'free'.

JMHO,

Pat
But Pat, you know you just gotta see if it'll work!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Kind of like those that just need to see if they can hatch grocery store fertile eggs?
I had this on my mind today. I've been hearing that fall is a great time to plant garlic here but I was sure if I'd be able to find any. I may have to order if Agway doesn't have anything good left. They had it in the spring.

Better Half

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've never thought to plant garlic from the store. I'll have to try it. There is always some sprouting in the kitchen. The store bought potatoes I planted yielded much more than the seed potatoes I purchased.

It's been an unusually hot summer here. For the first time I've noticed large pumpkin plants on the side of the road from last years smashed pumpkins. So I think grocery store plantings do work sometimes.

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Better Half said:
I've never thought to plant garlic from the store. I'll have to try it. There is always some sprouting in the kitchen. The store bought potatoes I planted yielded much more than the seed potatoes I purchased.

It's been an unusually hot summer here. For the first time I've noticed large pumpkin plants on the side of the road from last years smashed pumpkins. So I think grocery store plantings do work sometimes.
They do work, sometimes. Other times, not so hot. I have yet to get any store bought pepper to take from seed.

country lady

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
When I heard that the loose garlic was from China, I started buying the two-in-a-package from California and Mexico. I prefer only California. Also disturbing is that I heard that pork imports from China would drop 30%. I didn't know I was buying pork from China! I called Field's to ask if they import from China--Consumers have to leave a message. Well, it's been two weeks and no return call, so I am assuming its true. I love Field's bacon. It's getting harder and harder to tell where everything is coming from. "Distributed by" is not a country of origin! Sorry, a little off topic.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Fall is the ONLY time to plant garlic in my area. I have tried to plant in the spring with lousy results indeed!

I too have planted store garlic. Try a health food store or gourmet shop for "special" varieties!