Planting squash on a trellis

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not sure if I did it right or not. Open to any tips

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The hose are great to powder seven dust, also. And tie tomato vines, etc.

My butternuts were huge. I had 2 varieties, apparently, as one vine gave me about 3-4 lb the other gave me ones that were easily 6# each. Otherwise, yep, they will run a trellis. Mine went over the fence & down other side, heading across that yard. Yes, I had some fruit in the hanging position & only the smaller version. They did ok but had support from a board fence that was surrounded by wire fence on it. My vines were easily 30 ft long. I got a little over 140# of squash from 3 vines. They were volunteer vines from the empty hog pen.

Not only are they tasty, mine are still good at this time... One was getting a tiny pithy in area by seed, others were not at all, when I cooked 4 last week. That skin hardens very well. Wen you pick, use clippers and leave about 3" stem. It will dry and keep fruits longer. I've got about 50# left to use.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I dehydrated a metric ton of squash one year and hid it in everything from spaghetti sauce to soups as a thickener and added flavor. So extra can be good...the kids never knew there were veggies in their pasta and meat loaf lol!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got plenty of old t-shirts.

That trellis is 16 foot long and 50 inches high. I planted 25 seeds. How many should I keep?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got plenty of old t-shirts.

That trellis is 16 foot long and 50 inches high. I planted 25 seeds. How many should I keep?

I planted a 50' row with hills of 3 to 4 seeds spaced 24" apart last year. I had squash coming out my ears. It got so thick with leaf cover you had to dig through the leafs to find the squash.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:yuckyuck Mwahahahaaaa! I hate wasted food, and when one of them figured it out as I was about to run out, they actually requested that I keep doing it because they liked it ;)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Video won’t play for me, on satellite internet, most of the time it sucks.

I’ve planted squash on a trellis before. It worked until the squash got too big and heavy and fell off.