Please critique this!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Initial thoughts:

-does your family consume everything on the list?
-does your family consume everything on the list in the amounts given?

My family's pantry needs are quite different to those of other families, so I've never found "published" lists to be all that helpful, personally. We don't use a lot of things on that list, and depend on things that aren't on the list.

If you haven't already, track your family's usage and keep a running list for 6 months. Then double it and add 20% to things that might be more variable than others, and you should have something useful for your particular situation--store what you eat/eat what you store :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I always find the cookie cutter lists to be lacking in areas too. However, if that's what your family eats, then it should be good :hu

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I first started, I printed out a list similar to this one. DH and I went over it, line by line, crossing out things we definitely wouldn't eat, adding things we eat that weren't on it :p By the time we were done, it was a scribbled over mess :lol: DH (being the anal numbers man that I love) had me write out two sets of 'standard' menus - one for cold weather and one for warm weather. I also had to calculate how many times on average I made each listed meal (there are some things, like pizza and tacos, the guys insist on having once a week, spring, summer, fall and winter :p ). He then got to work figuring out how much of each ingredient was used per year (hey, he thought it was fun :rolleyes: ). That is now our master list. I base how much of what I grow in the garden/buy in bulk based on that list. It took him 2 days ( and drove me nuts, because HE doesn't cook, so he pestered me for the amounts on EVERYTHING :barnie ) but it makes everything so much easier now! I am not a slave to the list - I buy things on sale that aren't on it and so does he. We have a small 'core' of items that aren't on the list, for back up ( powdered eggs, just in case, powdered milk in case we are snowed in or - once our cow starts producing - for her dry times, etc. ) Our way isn't for everybody (unless somebody in the family is REALLY into lists and numbers :lol: ) but has made the process effortless for me.
I have to agree that, if your family eats everything on that list, and you need the structure of a list to follow, go for it. Remember too, that lists are usually made to be nutritionally balanced. For example, if you hate soy beans(I chose those because they are on that list and I do hate them :sick ), and take them off the list, their replacement should provide the same amount of nutrition.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The list looks ok for a basic storage but I would omit the gelatin, shortening and salad dressing. I would add dehydrated vegetables, fruit and herbs.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see your plan for rotating through this list as you progress, it not just about stockpiling, but keeping the stash fresh.

powdered fruit drinks... :sick

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well my thought was I won't eat over half of what's on that list but I need a list of what to buy in bulk. It just seemed handy that oh this paycheck buy this. I was looking at the thrive food but it's so expense. I am working on my gardening skills and going to start canning this year. I dehydrate stuff just really need to get into it. I also have friends going in with me.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Canning is where GOOD food storage is at, normal foods you normally eat.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
I agree! Drying is more space sufficient though. Have you tried dried tomatoes? We love those!

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
BarredBuff said:
I agree! Drying is more space sufficient though. Have you tried dried tomatoes? We love those!
They are on my list for this year!