Please explain "cover crops"

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I also use white clover around taller plants and in my paths. It is much easier to deal with than many other weeds. It will sneak into your plantings but is easy to pull out. Check your oregano regularly! ;) But it is also no disaster if clover ends up getting dried with some of the herbs. I love it.

Nice on the bare feet, too!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I just bought a 1/4 lb bag of dutch white clover with the thought of using it to fill in some bare spots on the lawn. I never thought to use it to keep the weeds at bay in the veggie garden. You guys are awesome!!!

Any plant you recommend NOT using the clover with? Can I start the clover first or should I plant it at the same time as my seeds? I hope I can start it first since the weeds don't have to wait for the last frost...LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
WZ, I'm planting my entire garden to red and white clover real early to get the plant established and then will plow my rows right into it and resow clover in the rows after planting my veggies.

My mom did this for the first time last year and was REAL impressed with the results....no weeds, better moisture control, no wearing thin mulching material and it made the garden look so neat and green. And the deer really loved cleaning it up in the fall and winter.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
WZ, it comes up REALLY fast, so I would not plant it alongside seeds that you are direct sowing. I plant my paths with clover when I plant my garden, and I seed the clover around transplants like tomatoes and peppers when I put them in the ground. I leave the soil bare where I direct seed, and keep that area weeded. The clover gradually creeps into the rows of veggies, so I weed it out where I need to and let it creep in where it will be ok.

For example, it can go in around root veggies that are well established, say several inches high, because they won't get lost in the clover and get smothered. Clover is a pain in the patootie in amongst the finer herbs like thyme, so I keep it weeded away from those plants.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I can see how it would be a problem for emerging seeds, but planting NOW, letting it force out the weeds and then weeding my rows might work. The grass in my garden bed was so invasive last year nothing I did could keep it down. I dug, I plucked, I ripped it up...it smothered the carrots, radishes and purslaine.

In Colorado, digging weeds seems to just anger them and make them reproduce faster :p

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I planted ONE cover crop, one time. It was Winter Rye. Man did that stuff ever do good, but GOOD GOD was it ever a PAIN to get tilled in come spring time! :barnie
Just give me a good coating of well rotted leaf mold ANYDAY!! :lol:

Wifezilla

Reaction score
LOL

I am not worried about the clover. As a last resort, I turn the ducks lose on it and it will be gone in no time :D