PLEASE Explain this to me: "Fork Split" English Muffins or Bagels ?

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Seriously, what's the point? Why the heck don't they just cut them all the way through? I mean, I wouldn't want fork-split bread!!!

Every time we get English Muffins or Bagels I gotta get out a knife to try my best to cut them straight. What a pain!

I mean, REALLY, what's the point?!?!? If the world took a vote, who would prefer "fork split" to "all the way split"?

Ok, I'm doing a poll!!!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
(I didn't vote, but "fork split" just means that the type of bread is layered, so easy to split with a fork--rather than having been "fork split" before you bought it. :) And uncut breads last longer on store shelves, thus why they do it that way ;) )

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not convinced! ;)

I'll venture to bet that the turnover rate on these items at the store is pretty darn high and that if they are able to get rid of sliced bread before it deteriorates in quality that they could do the same with these other items.

I'm just tired of having to cut my English Muffins & Bagels before putting them in the toaster. :D

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Why buy store bought Bagels? Easy peasy to make! mix, boil, bake.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Nifty, now you just sound high maintenance :p I agree with justusnak Make your own bagels!!!

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Ya, in all my free time. :rolleyes:

If you saw my to-do list you'd feel so bad that you'd bake me bagels AND fully split them and mail them to me. :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Nifty said:

If you saw my to-do list you'd feel so bad that you'd bake me bagels AND fully split them and mail them to me. :D
:lol:

ETA: Maybe I shouldn't laugh...I was just informed I have to make bread today :p Would a loaf of bread do? :lol:

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nifty said:

THATS why I don't eat Bagels! LOL

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've never seen fork split bagels around here.. and when I do buy them instead of make them I get the ones from the bakery that I have to cut myself.
The reason that English muffins are "fork split" is to make more of the nooks and crannies that the English folks love so. (Direct quote from my Brit ex) if you cut an English muffin with a knife it doesn't make the nooks and crannies. That way it gets nice and crisp on the split side.
Now the cheap bagels that you buy frozen or in the cooler case have that tiny bit left in the middle so that the machines that make them doesn't let them get separated in the machinery and lose a half.. See what watching "how it's made" gets ya... lol answers to the oddest questions!:lol:

Did that help anyone??;)

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Emerald said:
I've never seen fork split bagels around here.. and when I do buy them instead of make them I get the ones from the bakery that I have to cut myself.
The reason that English muffins are "fork split" is to make more of the nooks and crannies that the English folks love so. (Direct quote from my Brit ex) if you cut an English muffin with a knife it doesn't make the nooks and crannies. That way it gets nice and crisp on the split side.
Now the cheap bagels that you buy frozen or in the cooler case have that tiny bit left in the middle so that the machines that make them doesn't let them get separated in the machinery and lose a half.. See what watching "how it's made" gets ya... lol answers to the oddest questions!:lol:

Did that help anyone??;)
This is my understanding as well, I had watched how and why you use a fork to split them ,but could not tell where I had heard this ( I think it was on the Food Network)

Latest posts