Please help me with my "Canning Pears"

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wold say give them the couple days and the reassess the situation. They may be doable when they ripen up. Let us know.

I had no idea pears were picked hard. But I have only picked once. That will help for this year.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
You could try boiling them up for pectin I suppose, as you would with green apples -- pears don't have nearly as much pectin as apples but OTOH when they are unripe there might be enough to do *something* with. Dunno.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat
Pat, would you explain about boiling up for pectin please? I think i would like to know about this. As much explanation as possible please. Thanks.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I had pears given to me last year and I tried canning them... once. I guess I was too lazy to bother with peeling & coring them and then canning them because they were small as well. I ended up washing them, leaving the peels on, slicing and coring them and putting them in the food dehydrator. They were great snacks. Just an idea?

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree. I have a friend who lets me pick from his Bartlett trees, but I do that in October.
Did some canning not too long ago. I just peeled them, diced them and canned in sugar in 1/2 pints. They made great snacks and I also cooked with them--all gone now. :D

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Yes, you pick pears while they are green and let them ripen in a cool, dark place. I'd give them another couple of days.
That's what my grandfather did. He cut down boxes to fit under the beds, and it was our job to crawl under there and pull out the yellow ones.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help!

I let my pears ripen as long as i dared (some were shriveling) and then i followed a tip i got from someone local.

I boiled them whole for about an hour before peeling, etc.

It has worked marvelously.

I am working on a small batch of pear butter right now, which tastes and smells like Christmas!

Yum!

I'm learning a lot about these pears along the way too.