Plugged ears

danamillette

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Good morning!
I have had a cold for about 2 weeks. Most symptoms are clearing other than my ears. Anyone have a natural remedy for plugged ears? I cannot take decongestants as they make me jittery.
Thanks!
Dana

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
peroxide. Pour alittle in your ear. Wait a few minutes. It will bubble sounds funny and tickles. Turn your head sideways and let it run out. Make sure you have a tissue to catch the run off. Works for us everytime.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have you tried chewing gum for a little while?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Usually when someone complains of "plugged ears" they are referring to the inner ear, which cannot be accessed with the H2O2...if it can, you have another problem all together. :p

The reason you have plugged ears is your eustachian tubes are still swollen from your cold/allergy and will not drain properly, creating a buildup of fluid behind your ear drums. The need to bring down that inflammation of the tubes is key:

I would concentrate on your immune system and power up(at least 3 glasses a day) on some orange juice (vit. C caps seldom are utilized by the body as well as the real thing).

Use some Vicks in your nose and on your chest at night....and on the bottoms of your feet. I know that sounds weird but just try it. I've heard folks say they can taste it in their mouths after they put it on their feet! The eucalyptus/menthol is a great natural decongestant and can really help.

Use a vaporizer while you sleep to soothe your nasal passages....doesn't hurt to add a little Vicks to the "cup" on the machine.

Last, but not least, I would find some local raw honey and start dosing each day.

kohburn

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
the main ingredients in vicks are: camphor, eucalyptus oil and menthol.

for use on the feet the camphor and eucalyptus should give all the benefits.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
had them too, i do the sinus rinse AFTER you get the inflammation to go down use this link to read what i do as a preventative to keep the sinus and ear junk at bay. it really works but i use less salt because it really burnt the first few time i did it. http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I start to get a cold or have allergy issues, I do a sinus cleanse too. It is REALLY gross the first couple of times you do it. Like most things that are like that, all it takes is a little getting used to. Since I started doing that (and blowing a lot), I get WAY fewer sinus infections.

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
With any ear infection I use olive oil to clense the ears and if they were really blocked Hopi ear candles to get the wax released.

Latest posts