Poison Ivy

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does anyone have a natural remedy for poison ivy?

I'm new so be gentle. :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I've heard that the juice of jewelweed is good. I've only had my bad bouts of poison ivy when there was no jewelweed to be found, so I can't tell you how well it works! I also recently read about scrubbing the area with baking soda.

Since I took control of my health, I no longer get the full-body attack when exposed, just the localized spots on occasion, that don't spread. I hope it stays that way.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Jewelweed 'goo' really does work quite well for me. If you happen to have any jewelweed growing around (which, prolly not, this time of year).

Otherwise, it seems to help *somewhat* to apply an oatmeal paste to the area til it falls off on its own or you get annoyed and rinse it off, and do whatever it takes not to scratch :p

It is too late now, but for next time, scrubbing yourself well with a strong soap within an hour or two of exposure will go a long way towards preventing the rash.

Good luck, hang in there,

Pat

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Welcome!

I get poison ivy every single year. I truly find that not scratching, while obvious, is the best way to keep it calm. Also avoiding chafing and overheating. If it goes nuts anyways, then I opt for frequent cleaning followed by airdrying. Some of the lotions, like those with oatmeal, are mildly helpful. Do you have some already?!? My neighbor here in frozen WI already has her first dose of it, she believes picked up by some lumber she was getting at a construction store.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, but I don't think that Jewelweed grows here in Kansas. Wished it did!

When it comes to poison ivy, I have found that the best way to prevent contamination is to stay out of it, but sometimes it just can't be done. When I find that I am in the junk before I realize it and go to the nearest water (pond, creek, bottled water) and wash my hands and arms, I usually do not get a rash; however, sometimes there is no water available.

For several years now, I have made a poison ivy tea and drank it for prevention. Nothing is perfect, but I seldom get the stuff anymore, and when I do, it is a very minor case. I was wondering if anyone else has tried something like this?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks Pat. I'm in the SE part of Kansas so I'll have to learn to identify it and keep my eyes open to see if it grows on my farm.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Tallman--what type of tea are you sipping? Sounds like something I should at least try. Cause even though I know where the ivy is, it's also where the wild asparagus grows and I'm not giving up my 'spargus!

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Tallman--what type of tea are you sipping? Sounds like something I should at least try. Cause even though I know where the ivy is, it's also where the wild asparagus grows and I'm not giving up my 'spargus!
Here's my story.

First of all I never did "sip" this tea. I cool it down, chug it, do a serious rinse, and wash my lips thoroughly.

Years ago my MIL told me that her father had her eat a small poison ivy leaf every spring to prevent her from getting the rash.

I never did have the nerve to eat a leaf, but I started making a tea and drinking it each spring. I get a little poison ivy leaf about 1" long and steep it in a cup of hot water for about 10 to 15 seconds. Then I pour this concoction into a quart jar and fill it about three fourths full of drinking water. I drink about a cup of this every 2 or 3 days. Nothing is perfect, but I don't get much of a rash anymore, and when I do, it is rather wimpy. In the early stages of this experiment, I would just make about a one half of a cup of tea then put in another half of a cup of tap water, let it cool, and drink it down. Then I would rinse my mouth with plain water as I mention above. I did that for a few spring fixes until I made it a little too strong one time. The roof of my mouth got this minor raw rash, but it went away in a couple of days. So I went with the quart jar method that I use now. I do this once in the spring and that's it.

When I tell this to people they think that I'm smoking something instead of drinking tea. :rolleyes: Anyway, that's what I do.

By the way, my MIL is 94, lives in an assisted living apartment, and is doing just fine. As for me, I'm a handsome 61. :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Makes sense to me, Tallman! After all, the allergy injections people take are small doses of their particular allergen. The same concept with taking a tsp. of raw honey from your local area to avoid hay fever type allergies.

I've heard that ACV is good for neutralizing the oils of poison ivy exposure. I've tried it on my boys when they were little and it worked tremendously well. I also use it on bee stings and sunburns. Works great!

BTW,Tallman, I re-posted those pics to my journal...well..some of them! ;)

Latest posts