Poison Ivy

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
It makes a weird kind of sense, but I think it would take me quite a while to work up the courage that first time. I've read about people rolling in stinging nettle au naturel for health reasons, now ivy tea. Hmmmm....

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Makes sense to me, Tallman! After all, the allergy injections people take are small doses of their particular allergen. The same concept with taking a tsp. of raw honey from your local area to avoid hay fever type allergies.

I've heard that ACV is good for neutralizing the oils of poison ivy exposure. I've tried it on my boys when they were little and it worked tremendously well. I also use it on bee stings and sunburns. Works great!

BTW,Tallman, I re-posted those pics to my journal...well..some of them! ;)
That's what I thought so I gave it a try.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Be extremely careful ingesting anything to do with poison ivy. Anyone who has a severe allergy to it (and it can happen) can die because of these experimental suggestions being made here. Personally I wouldn't try them, but that's just me.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
It makes a weird kind of sense, but I think it would take me quite a while to work up the courage that first time. I've read about people rolling in stinging nettle au naturel for health reasons, now ivy tea. Hmmmm....
You could try steeping for 5 seconds and still dilute it into a quart of water. I figured if my MIL ate the junk I could at lease try this diluted tea. I am hoping that my body builds up an immunity to it. I've been doing this for about 8 years or so.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
Be extremely careful ingesting anything to do with poison ivy. Anyone who has a severe allergy to it (and it can happen) can die because of these experimental suggestions being made here. Personally I wouldn't try them, but that's just me.
Reinbeau you give excellent advice here. Maybe I should not have said anything.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You may know jewelweed as spotted touch-me-not or just touch-me-not. As a child, and I admit even now, I love touching the seed pods and watching them explode. They look like tiny pea pods and they burst and curl up when you touch the end, especially on a hot day when the pods are very ripe.

Around here the flowers are orange with darker spots, and they seem to grow in partial shade. They spring up fast and have very juicy-looking stems and small leaves for the size of the plant. I find them in the rich soil along the edges of the woods, in low spots in ditches and near streams or seasonally wet spots.

Tallman, you likely know this plant, just didn't know it was called jewelweed.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tallman said:
For several years now, I have made a poison ivy tea and drank it for prevention. Nothing is perfect, but I seldom get the stuff anymore, and when I do, it is a very minor case. I was wondering if anyone else has tried something like this?
this sounds like homeopathy to me. You could get some homeopathic Rhux Tox (poison ivy) in 30c potency, fill a 1 or 2 ounce dropper bottle 3/4 way with distilled or spring water and about 1/4 of bottle with brandy. Add your Rhus Tox remedy, just a pellet or two. Now take one drop once a day all year but start at least about 1 month before expected exposure. It should get rid of your allergy to Rhus Tox....this is in theory though. I haven't tried it. This process does work with other things.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Here in the desert we don't have poison ivy, but I have been told that rubbing vodka on the rash helps. I've never had expeience with it as it did not grow on our farm back in KS, or around my relatives places in OK. :hu

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
Here in the desert we don't have poison ivy, but I have been told that rubbing vodka on the rash helps. I've never had expeience with it as it did not grow on our farm back in KS, or around my relatives places in OK. :hu
:frow Homesteadmom, I live in Kansas. What area of Kansas did you live in?

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Tallman said:
Homesteadmom said:
:frow Homesteadmom, I live in Kansas. What area of Kansas did you live in?
Arkansas City. We had 2 seperate farms right outside of town near the OK border.