Politics

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
On another forum I've been reading they are talking about the health care stuff. Many are encouraging taking advantage of everything possible to collapse the gov. I'm a bit worried about that attitude and was wondering how everyone is planning on taking care of things when it starts going down hill. I know I'm not phrasing this right so hopefully some one understands me. I blame the lack of sleep from coughing and meds.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm not going to get political. We aren't supposed to talk politics in here, but apparently the mods are letting this thread go, because it IS pertinent to SS, otherwise I wouldn't be responding. Now, this is just a heaping helping of my personal opinions, but here goes...the government is already toast because they aren't listening to the people...from EITHER side. It's just going to go downhill from here. People don't understand yet the repercussions of giving handouts to the masses who already have entitlement issues...again on BOTH sides. How do I plan on handling it? I'm just going to keep doing what I am already doing, preparing, taking care of my own, and teaching others, building sustainable habits for my household, and working WITH other people networking to access a good balance of necessary skillsets so we can help each other and anyone else who isn't afraid to work hard to make it. :hu Pretty simple really. :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Just like WBF said, they tell you what they want to hear. Then do whatever the heck they want. No communication from either side, and everyone is to busy being 4 year olds on the playground... :rolleyes:

Like Cindi we are doing the same things, learning to be a more sustainable unit, preparing (through some supplies and skills), and networking (although we dodn't as much as she does but all the same).

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we have many neighbors here and lately we have been useing the barter system quite a bit. we plan to keep that going.

traded trimming the 4 horses feet for helping unload hay, and driving the horse shoer to town to do errends.
traded 8 square bales of hay for 5 pullet chicks.
trading some of my fresh canned carrots for tomatoes.

we can survive if there is no electric.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm scared for the vast majority, as far as health and preparedness goes, but most on SS forum have probably been expecting something like this to happen eventually.
If I can help myself in anyway now, I will....to a certain degree. I'm about to study a formally in herbology because I am a nurse and I"m not planning on going back into healthcare, except to care for my family, so I'm hoping I can treat simple ailments with twigs and leaves, provided I know what I'm doing.
I have a small system of bartering going, as well as a few cash only customers for my SS projects. I have no idea how the SwillHTF, but this might be a small part of it.....not that it wasn't hitting in other areas. I won't say, I'm ready, but I'm doing what I think I need to do.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
So who have you guys "collected?" I've kinda made myself indespensible to several folks who would be indespensible to my family in a real CHTF type scenario.

We have in our circle: doctor, chiro, large scale farmer, electrician, carpenters, butcher, several dozen nurses, a sniper(ya never know when one of those will be handy :lol: ) grass fed beef rancher, hog farmer, pastors, construction workers, and a very very intelligent elderly group with LOADS of knowledge. There are more..just can't think of them at the moment :hu All of these folks are mutually willing to share their skill sets with us in barter for things they need. That is what I meant by networking. I'm just curious how everyone else plans to get things done you don't necessarily have the correct skillset for?

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have:

Hog farmer
2 cattle farmers
Horse shoer (also trains horses to ride and drive) and is totaly off grid. And fixes buggies.
An electrician
A lady who knows a lot about herbal medicon
A friend who does reloading and has TONS of weapons knowlege
Many hunters
Working with a guy who does butchering and smoking
A lady down the road that has a nice stud horse and several mares
A couple people good with construction
My husbands uncle is a pastor
His cousin is a detective
And we have some good friends and neighbors who will pitch in and help whenever needed.
And everyone has a garden and will trade extra.
For right now we are 1 of 2 local ones with eggs.
Also a guy that breeds and trains hunting breed dogs.
And several jacks-of-all-trades

I too am sure I am missing people.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
1 trawler
2 hunters
1 retired marine/sharpshooter and hunter
1 old man with lots of gardening going on
1 orange orchard
1 retired carpenter (uncle)
1 godfather with a small herd of beef cattle
Lots of potential zombies, I can maybe give chores to
automechanic

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm concerned about everyone who thinks the Gov is going to take care of everything now. I live to close to town for comfort and have many neighbor's who know I garden and raise food because of my daughters food allergies. I know of 3 families near that hunt but the rest have a weeks worth of food and think a 24 pack of water is good enough. Most of my friends who "prep" live several miles away are spread out.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wish we lived more remotely than we do, but we are @ 8-10 miles from town. So hopefuly we will be ok.