Politics

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
I wish we lived more remotely than we do, but we are @ 8-10 miles from town. So hopefuly we will be ok.
Thats my hope too. Food is one thing, but no one knows we have more than a horse trough of water which is the big problem out here. I bought several large tanks and brought them in late so it was dark. Hopefully no one paid attention since it was the same shape as a pallet of horse feed that they are used to me bringing home.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
terri9630 said:
Many are encouraging taking advantage of everything possible to collapse the gov. I'm a bit worried about that attitude.
these ''many'' people are idiots in my book. to collapse a govt. BY using all its resources/benefits that are supplied free to the citizens??

IF the govt collapsed, those ''many'' would probably be the first to DIE! :) :rolleyes:

the attitude must come from being stupid I assume :lol: :lol:

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One of my biggest worries is about water. I have to ask, terri9630, how do you store the water? Do you put bleach in it? Is it well water? There are three artesian wells within about 30 miles of my house. I wish we could get a big tank of that water stored in our basement, somehow. What I really want is a well.
Other than that, My DH and I have learned many repair, craft, hinting, mechanic, food prep, gardening, haircutting, first aid, butchering skills in our long lives. We don't have a lot of friends, and no social life to speak of, so we'll have to just kinda depend on ourselves in a SHTF situation. I do worry about all the people who are on vital medication.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have one of these. http://www.loomistank.com/ibc-tote-transport-tanks.shtml
And one of these. http://www.loomistank.com/pickup-utility-transport-tanks.shtml the round one
I'd like several more of the big square ones. We have 520 gal of water with them. I followed the amounts of bleach on Clorox's website and google for the amount of bleach. We have a well so when there is no power, no water.

We have horses, chickens, rabbits and 4 of us so I worry about having enough.

Living out in the desert there is one natural spring 25 miles from us that is well known and no natural surface water for about 60 miles with an avg yearly rain fall of 9". Rain barrels would stay empty here.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
terri9630 said:
Many are encouraging taking advantage of everything possible to collapse the gov. I'm a bit worried about that attitude.
these ''many'' people are idiots in my book. to collapse a govt. BY using all its resources/benefits that are supplied free to the citizens??

IF the govt collapsed, those ''many'' would probably be the first to DIE! :) :rolleyes:

the attitude must come from being stupid I assume :lol: :lol:
That is my view as well. It just shocked me to see so many on a homesteading forum with that attitude. It would cause more problems and suffering and people WANT it to happen.:idunno

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
As for water we haven't realy gotten into that yet. We do have a 55 gal barrel that collects rain water from the gutters. Our neighbors have one of those square tanks with the metal cage and it is super nice (we used it when the water line broke early this spring.

There is a guy north of us that sells the ones with the cage. 275 gal for $80.00 and 330 gal for $100.00 he also has 55 gal plastic barrels. All had food grade materials in them. We have 2 55 gal ones but they are empty right now.

How long would water be good in them? I would think if it is in there very long it would get stale or stagnent.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Stale water isn't a problem. You can pour it back and forth between two containers to aerate it to taste better. Once every 6 months we use it to water our trees and then refill it. When the power goes out I hook the rabbits mister hose to it to help keep them cool. The size of the tanks provides enough pressure for both applications. I also have 2 fresh water tanks on my horse trailer (40gal each) and a 90 gal tank in our camper that I keep full in non freezing weather.

Latest posts