Poll on laundry soap

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Hey, Farm! :frow Just wanted to give you this :hugs and tell you that I'm sorry about your horse. I know how you must feel and it hurts for a long while. :hugs another for your sorrow! :(

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
My understanding was that Fels Naptha and Zote are soap bars designed to be laundry soap. I'm sure Farmfresh is right about why.

I have been told you can use these bars to rub into stains instead of keeping spray-n-wash. I frankly usually just put a little dawn dishwashing detergent on stains myself though and I'm in a habit already of doing that so haven't tried it as a stain remover. But I was told that this is the purpose for which it has been sold for many years.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Hey, Farm! :frow Just wanted to give you this :hugs and tell you that I'm sorry about your horse. I know how you must feel and it hurts for a long while. :hugs another for your sorrow! :(
Thanks Bee. It really means a lot. :) Please be praying for us for a few days. We are all whacked.

sune42

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
So, I used to make my own laundry soap, but my clothes kept getting more and more musty. It got pretty bad, so I switched back to a commercial brand, usually Mrs. Meyers Clean Day. Has anyone had this issue, or any idea how to fix it? I used the basic formula that everyone else has posted. I used Zote soap and had no clumping issues.

-Amanda

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Hey Welcome! Describe musty. I have been using it for a coupla years now and have had absolutely no problems with it. Musty would tell me the its wan't dried properly? Or that it is lacking theperfumey smell that detergents have added. That's about al I can think of. :idunno

sune42

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Hey Welcome! Describe musty. I have been using it for a coupla years now and have had absolutely no problems with it. Musty would tell me the its wan't dried properly? Or that it is lacking theperfumey smell that detergents have added. That's about al I can think of. :idunno
No, it was dried properly and it wasn't that it was non perfumey. It was..well, I don't sweat a lot, but I do have a few lbs to loose. When I would sit for a while (like at my old job) and get up the heat from my body would cause my jeans to smell musty. I know that seems like it's going to be a me problem, but I do shower, regularly, and I really don't sweat unless I am working out. My shirts would be the same way. I haven't had the problem since switching back to commercial stuff. Which is a bummer because I have 5 bars of Zote under my sink. :/

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Been using liquid homemade soap for about two years. Love it, but because I am single I don't use a lot of it, and by the end of the bucket it is very thick because of evaporation. (Yes, I cover it.)

I am making a new batch pretty soon and will be returning to powder. I am switching it up a bit, and this may be helpful for the odor issue. What I am doing is making the standard dry mix, and then adding a small box of commercial powder. Big Lots had 15 load Tide for $2.99, so that will probably be what I use. Basically, I am going to use two bars of Fels Naptha, finely grated using a rasp, a whole box of borax, a whole box of washing soda, and then will divide it in half and add a dollar store box of powdered bleach. I have no issues with fragrance of chemicals, so this works well for me.

Edited for spelling.

sune42

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I used vinegar for my 'fabric softener'. I guess I am just a weird stinky person. LOL Now I always used powder, and I could mix it with a commercial powder. I think Ecover makes one.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Sune, have you tried it with the FelsNaptha soap instead of Zote? I've never used the Zote but my mother has and she didn't really like the results.

I've been using the liquid made from the FN and have never had an odor problem yet.

BTW, Welcome to the forum!!! :D :welcome