Poll on laundry soap

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
1. What is your favorite homemade laundry soap recipe?
I use the 2 cups borax, 2 cups washing soda, 1 bar of fels soap, 1 cup dry bleach

2. What is your least favorite homemade laundry soap recipe?
This is the only one I have tried- I like it, why mess around? ;)

3. What is your favorite store-bought laundry soap?
We buy Arm and Hammer unscented for when SO does the laundry

4. Have you ever had any of these gunk up or damage your washing machine?
We have a front end loader- no problem. I use about 2 tablespoons and I tap it slowly into the running water as it is filling. I don't think I would just dump it in and let it glump together.

5. Have you converted friends and family to your choice of laundry soap?
I have (semi) converted my SO to this soap. She won't use it herself, but admits the laundry smells good when I use it. :D

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
Dace said:
I still have never found the washing soda....:he
I'm in SW AZ, but I know when I go to SW CA, the stores are completely different. We all have Starbuck's and Denny's, though! I got my Arm and Hammer Washing Soda at Fry's, which is also known as Kroger's and other things.

A few months ago in San Diego, I needed Abuelita Chocolate Drink Mix for my coffee. Could not find it. Asked the employees, huge run-around (not intentional), eventually the deli lady who spoke limited English told me they sell it in her neighborhood in the stores "where the Mexicans shop", her words, not mine. I was not used to this, because here in SW AZ, ALL the stores are "where the Mexicans shop" so they all have pretty beefed-up Mexican foods. The good stuff, not just Mission and Catalina. So Tide is side by side with Suavelita.

What stores have you looked in for washing soda?

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
I an truly surprised at the wide variety of recipes you all have for laundry soap. Many of the ingredients seem to be standard, but the amounts vary and the methods vary and the results seem to end up at the same place, for the most part. I'm betting that it has a lot to do with your water quality as to whether or not you'll have success with the more potent recipe or not, and if you'll have streaks or undissolved soap residue.

If I neglect to keep the water softener filled with salt, ain't no amount of scrubbing going to get my clothes clean. They will come out literally dirtier than going in.
But if the water is soft, miracles abound.

LOVE these recipes, especially the little tips that come with them!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Javamama said:
1. I used the first recipe listed and it isn't working for me.
2. N/A
3. All free and clear
4. Yes, this is the problem, I'll explain below
5. No converts since I don't prefer it myself

I have a front loader machine and every time I have used the dry/grated soap, it leaves gunk in the little soap reservoir and white streaks all over the load of laundry. Seems like it doesn't dissolve at all. We do have pretty hard water and use a salt softener.
I'm not interested in trying the method where you melt it and add a bunch of water and then have to store it in huge 5 gallon buckets. It's not worth the time, energy, or used up space to me. We have sensitive skin here and I have to be extremely careful with what I use, so it's ALL or ARM & Hammer unscented.
I used to have this problem and then switched to the liquid recipe, which works great. In fact, it has become my new, finally effective stain remover!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
eggs4sale said:
Dace said:
I still have never found the washing soda....:he
I'm in SW AZ, but I know when I go to SW CA, the stores are completely different. We all have Starbuck's and Denny's, though! I got my Arm and Hammer Washing Soda at Fry's, which is also known as Kroger's and other things.

A few months ago in San Diego, I needed Abuelita Chocolate Drink Mix for my coffee. Could not find it. Asked the employees, huge run-around (not intentional), eventually the deli lady who spoke limited English told me they sell it in her neighborhood in the stores "where the Mexicans shop", her words, not mine. I was not used to this, because here in SW AZ, ALL the stores are "where the Mexicans shop" so they all have pretty beefed-up Mexican foods. The good stuff, not just Mission and Catalina. So Tide is side by side with Suavelita.

What stores have you looked in for washing soda?
Vons, Ralphs (Kroger owned), Stater Bros, Albertsons, Big Lots, Walmart, Target, Home Dept and some other hardware type store as well as a few Asian markets.Seriously, I am doubting that the stuff really exists!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Dace, have you asked any of the store managers to order it? We used to buy A&H washing soda from Krogers and Albertsons in Texas.

angelib1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I still have never found the washing soda....
look in the pool section of walmart or any pool supply store for ( sodium carbonate) ph balancer. Or go to a feed store or Jo Ann fabrics store and ask for (Soda ash). Happy hunting.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Soda ash at Jo Anns? Sodium Carbonate in the pool dept at walmart? Hmm...ok I will renew the hunt!