Pomegrantes

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What to do with these suckers...LOL

Does anyone eat this fruit?
My store had them displayed in a big bin in the produce section...there was a pamphlet section on "how to eat and enjoy" them.....BUT....of course they were out and the produce guy didn't have any more pamplets available.

I didn't buy one cause I just never tackled one before..LOL

just curious if anyone uses them?

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
They grow well here & a lot of people have these trees in thier yards. I did when I bought my first house in town, but we took it out as they are messy trees if you don't consume the fruit & the tree was right next to the wall & they fell on my neighbors side all the time too. They are a time consuming fruit to eat as you basically suck the pulp off each little seed inside. So it takes a while & patience to eat them. But they do taste good. You just crack the outside open in one spot & carefully peel the skin back, never remove all of it at once. Then just remove the seeds a few at a time & enjoy! I used ot eat them all the time as a kid. But then again I had all the time in the world back then didn't I?
Hope this helps. Oh yes, you don't have to eat it all at one time, as you can just put it in the fridge after the skin has been peeled back & you don't have to cover it, but if you do it does not dry out at all.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know anything to do except just eat them raw.

They are time consuming in the way that sunflower seeds in the shell are time consuming. I think some people develop a knack for this and some don't. For example I can put a handful of sunflower seeds in my mouth, shell them with my teeth, and eject the shells and eat the seeds one at a time (still with a mouthful of seeds.) I can do the same with pomegranates. Get a handful of the seeds, eat the meat off one at a time and eject the seeds.

I can entertain myself for a whole day with one tiny bag of sunflower seeds! LOL

John thinks this is a HUGE waste of time and never touches the stuff.

Pomegranate juice is 'pose to be very healthful. They are SO SO delicious. I guess if you don't mind playing with your food, you should give one a try. :)

Cassandra

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The juice will stain you and everything within a 3 foot radius. It is extremely good for you but hard work and messy. We used to eat the little seeds as kids. You kinda mush them around in your mouth and spit out the pits. Like they said, a lot of work. Good luck.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
We eat the seeds...never knew you were supposed to shell those little red things like sunflower seeds...then again we eat pumpkin seeds shell and all too:>) Was at someones house once watching them eat pumpkin seeds and shell them...too much work.
Anyway we will keep eating those red centres seeds and all...unless someone says they aren't good for you...

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My son goes bonkers for them! He swallows the seeds too. They are alot of work, but great if you want to snack helathy while watching a movie--they take time to peel and get the seeds out. And the juice stains wash out very well. They are very good for you.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I love them and will grab one or two everytime I see them.

Like Cassandra, I can entertain myself for a while with one.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I eat the whole seed...they are great in a martini or in a salad :)

If you cut the pom in half and then hold it submerged in a large bowl of water you can tear the sucker apart without getting juice sprayed on everything...plus the skin and white 'pith' will float to the top while the seed sink so it is very easy to separate.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Don't eat the membrane between the sections. It is pretty bitter.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
In season there's always a pomegranate peeled and seeded in the fridge. Eat the whole aril, including the seed. They are delish! My son and I love them.