Pomegrantes

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WOW everyone
thanks for the info...I had no idea.

BUT I have to say, you only eat the middle seed part?

All around that, the main flesh (pith someone said, etc.) is all wasted?

They weren't cheap, is it worth the cost? LOL---I don't know...I guess best to buy one and try it. They sound delish from the descrip. ya'll gave.

time to experiment...thanks!

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Yep, you only eat the little red seeds. All the other stuff is tossed in the compost pile.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't know why but it seems so strange for such a big fruit to be only the seeds to eat????

LOL-LOL

but everyone said they are delish so next shopping trip I will be getting one and definitely experimenting.

never know to you try right? I will probably get hooked on them, I am a fruit lover!

Thanks everyone for great input, I feel like I can tackle this monster now..HA HA HA

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Just so you know, Karen, they are a PITA to peel. Don't be discouraged, they're worth it in the end! I don't like to cut them in half, you lose all the arils along the cut line. I cut a slice from one end and try to work the peel loose from there.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks
I would have taken the easy road and cut it right though but now I will sacrifice a couple fingernails to peel...LOL
Worse thing is, I get hooked, and then live the rest of my life peeling "hard to peel" fruit. Oh yea, I am feeling it..HA HA

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
The kids and I LOVE them! We eat the whole seed, juice and soft membrane. I find it easiest to kind of cut through the skin like an orange, then try to break the pom into quadrants. Then, I hold onto each end and turn it inside out to expose the seeds better. No way around it--it IS a pain to get all of them out. But what a treat! One of our favorites is a fruit salad with cut-up mango, pomegranates and frozen blackberries or black raspberries from summer picking :)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I used to bang mine on the edge of the counter to break it open & then peel a little back at a time so the inside wasn't completely exposed from the get go.