POO to gas!

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have not been out since last Friday.and then it was ranging $3.09 to $3.25. I have read barrels going up,so I bet I will see $3.25 or higher. When it hits $5 that will be our limit that results in having to make choices on driving.Even with a hybrid car the gas prices can be to much for us.We usually spend $30 a week on gas for me.Dh's van needs about $60-70 to fill it.

I sure hope it never gets as bad as it was shown in the BBC movie If the oil runs out.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dang, I have no idea what it is here. I rarely leave the property, so a tank will last me a long time. Ya, I'm a hermit. I'm okay with it.

On the other hand, DH travels w/ his job, complains about gas prices on a regular basis since he can't get away from shelling out the $$ when he needs to fill up. But he's working part time now, so that helps.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
yea they said that SC could be about .30 cheaper than NC.
my parents are close enough to jump over into Gaffney SC for gas. but I am way to far to make it worth the trip darn it..lol

$5
good gravy if it gets into the middle $4s I am done driving. I will be out of a gas budget at that point. yikes
Can you make a special trip to SC and fill up a few gas cans? Or get your parents to fill some slowly over time so you can use it later?? That just seems insane... .30 difference...
Course, I remember when I used to drive to SC to get gas for .71/gal... and I'm not that old! LOL :gig

I don't know what we'll do. Thankfully, we do live convenient to things, we're only 2 miles from Balto's beltway. But, a lot of the stores that I actually do shop at are further away. Our closest grocery store has NO organic section at all. Thankfully in summer, I can drive 3 miles up the road to fresh farm stands (while not organic, at least they are fresh!). Its 7 miles to my work, but my other half commutes to Rockville every day. He is already paying $400.00/month in gas for his camery which gets pretty darn good mileage. I don't know what we'll do if it goes up much more, that's going to break the bank!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I always have my horses to ride if it gets too high! Been looking for a good cheap buggie or cart but haven't found one yet.
Will start looking heavier now.

Gas in SE iowa is $3.14 / gal. $2.90 right before christmas.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I always have my horses to ride if it gets too high! Been looking for a good cheap buggie or cart but haven't found one yet.
Will start looking heavier now.

Gas in SE iowa is $3.14 / gal. $2.90 right before christmas.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Went out today and the gas is up to $3.35. Bummer.Though I recall one fall it was a wee bit over $4 and we managed that.Hopefully it will drop some before I need to fill the tank.

How long is gas good when you store it in those gas jugs?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I have been thinking about a stock up tank.

my friend Barb has a dairy and they have a big gas tank that is filled (I think bi-monthly). I wonder what they pay. hmm....and I wonder if the tank comes in smaller sizes.

huh, interesting. I will ask her about her gas tank on the farm. now you got me interested. huh

my SUV gets 23-24 mpg and his big farm truck which is his vehicle for driving gets like 12 mpg. I am thinking of giving him my SUV for work (4 day 12 hr shift)
we could save literally 1/2 the weekly fill for his truck just him using my SUV.

I think that is my next move.

Very short trips for the truck. All longer trips in the SUV.

One station here was $3.46! OW OW all others around were $3.36

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
yea I have been thinking about a stock up tank.

my friend Barb has a dairy and they have a big gas tank that is filled (I think bi-monthly). I wonder what they pay. hmm....and I wonder if the tank comes in smaller sizes.

huh, interesting. I will ask her about her gas tank on the farm. now you got me interested. huh

my SUV gets 23-24 mpg and his big farm truck which is his vehicle for driving gets like 12 mpg. I am thinking of giving him my SUV for work (4 day 12 hr shift)
we could save literally 1/2 the weekly fill for his truck just him using my SUV.

I think that is my next move.

Very short trips for the truck. All longer trips in the SUV.

One station here was $3.46! OW OW all others around were $3.36
Times like this call for smart moves to save money and put yourself in a better position when the real S-hits. IMHO ;)

I run a lawn service as one of my businesses. I hate to do it but I am raising my prices this summer if gas hits 4.00 a gal. I haven't for the last 3 yrs and now I just have to. I am sure people will understand. Especially since I haven't for so long. I have to eat too. :)

Good luck and keep your powder dry!!!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maybe some of the Canadians could chime in here ... to make those of us south of the border feel a bit better ;) Or are you all laughing too hard to type?

OK, I know ... its higher than it was only a few weeks ago, and that hurts. It doesn't really matter what the the rest of the world pays for gas ... not if it is your wallet and budget that are hurting.

But the Europeans are paying somewhere in the region of $8 a gallon, and I know it is pretty high in Canada too. Its a reminder to us all (well, most of us ... those who think about such things) to think about combining trips, and maybe switching cars as FarmerChick mentioned.

Its around $3.39 here

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I can't drive most cars for long periods of time and can't afford a car payment anyway. I'd love to trade in my truck for one that gets better mileage, but it's just not in the budget. So, I'll stick to my motorcycle for now. Of course, if I had my own farm, I'd rarely need to leave. That would help quite a bit.

Latest posts