Pool ...how can I save money/energy on it?

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
rivka said:
I should have been more detailed..sorry about that...
It is an in ground pool. I pay to have the chem work done weekly as I was spending more on trying to get it right than just having it done.

My costs are the running the pool pump. I even have an energy efficient one.
I guess what I am really asking,, is there a way to cover a pool without having to run pump, yet it not turn into an algea pit.
I think the only way to cover it without growing an algae farm is blacking it out. Finding a tarp or something that doesn't allow any light through would keep the algae down. Since algae is photosynthetic, it needs light to thrive. That is why ponds in the shade usually have LESS algae than those in full sun. I know I see a HUGE difference between my animals waterbuckets inside the barn and outside.

-Kim

rivka

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
New question:
Is there anything I can do, put in my pool etc to run the pump less?
Is there a good, inexpensive solar power pump available?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
rivka said:
New question:
Is there anything I can do, put in my pool etc to run the pump less?
Is there a good, inexpensive solar power pump available?
Nothing is inexpensive anymore, like solar stuff...LOL-LOL

no chemicals will make the pool stay clean long enough without filtering.

Solar is an investment. If the pool is something you want to keep open and use for many, many years....then solar costs are deferred over those years and probably save you losts of elec. costs.

So if you want that pool going for years, solar cost is good.

If you don't want that pool long, then maybe you can sell the solar filteration system after and make back some money.

there sometimes is not much leeway around things.

stagnant water, like pools, need to be addressed on a daily basis kind of thing.

We are digging a pond on the farm and it has natural springs.....and the soil and such and plants is its own filter system along with the damn leeching water and refilling with fresh.....so you just kinda have to think of it as always needing to be filtered kind of thing. Even small backyard ponds and ornamental ponds need that stupid filter..HA HA

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
double post--oh well had to delete
LOL

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lovechooks said:
Could you turn it into a pond and whack some ducks in it?
Oh Gross! That's disgusting!

:tongue

:lol:

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you search I know Ive seen solar water heaters you can make that go right in the line, very easy and inexpensive. I run my pump at night when its cheaper and actually most people run their pumps longer than they really have to. If your pump is a good enough size for your pool, just a couple hours will do it. Some people can run a couple hours in the very early morning and a couple hours late in the evening. Keeping it covered reduces your need to chlorinate as the sun causes evaporation and keeps it cleaner. Several years ago when I worked at a pool manufacture I sold a product called a FROG, it was a mineral replacement for chlorine and chemicals. I dont know if its still around or if theres something similar. It really made a difference with algae and cleaning and replaced the need for so many different chemicals.

Found it
http://www.poolsinc.com/frog-mineral-purifiers.html

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
How about converting it to a cellar? Its already below ground so you could just roof it, insulate that roof well, make sure you have some good ventilation. You could even do a living roof and grow food atop your cellar! How cool would that be? And an interesting way to make something useful once again.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I don't know if this'll help. but here I go... We have a kiddy pool and put some black vinyl over it. boy did it heat up. like a bathtub. Take it for what it is. or could be . just my 2 cents worth.

CaptnAndy

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 11,000 gal in-ground pool in southern IN. We replaced the chlorine dispenser with an electronic chlorinator that used a DC current to convert slightly salty water into chlorine gas. (a salt water pool). The salt concentration is about the same as tears. In addition to saving chemicals, a salt water pool is easier on the eyes & skin.

We do have a cover & a gas fired heater. We use the pool between May 1st & mid October. I was able to reduce electric cost, while still keeping it clean and balanced by only running the pump & chlorinator 4 hours per night. When the water temp reaches 50 degrees F., I winterize the system & shut down the pump until Spring.

We keep the cover on unless we are swimming, & that helps with minimizing heat loss & the need for filtering.

Latest posts