Pool ...how can I save money/energy on it?

Brownstone

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
A standard pool pump running 8 hours per day can cost $450 per year per pump, depending on the KWH price. Chlorine is diluted with waterfall or spray features, and by running a pool pump more than minimal required to maintain optimal water quality.

The time required to maintain water quality depends, on the temperature. Leave the pump on longer in warmer weather. Higher temperature needs more chlorine. Otherwise. the timer should run 2- 3 hour per day in 60-75 degree weather, and 4 hours when its warmer.

An ionizer (zinc & silver) infuses into the water anti-mold - germ killers. Use an Ionizer and use much less chlorine.

Soon the Energy Codes will require energy saving pumps. Those would be with a variable speed pump, and the saving depends on how many pumps you need. Geo=thermal pool heating is expensive, but if you had other use for it, would heat water for the cost of another pump.

Solar works if you have a west facing roof area use it for solar water heating and afternoon swims... otherwise south to south east. If my pool pump dies I will put in a solar panel and a DC commercial water pump. The pump would run 8 hours a day, and only cost the cost of turning the pump on... about $130 per year.

If it matters you lose value in a home when it doesn't have a pool. A duck pond requires a design that will make it self sustaining. Stagnate water can kill you...

Howling wolf

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Lovechooks said:
Could you turn it into a pond and whack some ducks in it?
Not a bad idea, but if you want to revive it, I would suggest rent a pool pump and install solar pool cover.

You can save money and energy from pool heating with a solar cover.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Brownstone said:
If it matters you lose value in a home when it doesn't have a pool.
Depends totally on where you live. In, like, Florida, it is true. However in much of the northern half of the US and in Canada, the REVERSE is often true -- a pool can *detract* from the value and saleability of the house. (Unless you luck into one particular buyer whose heart was set on a pool, of course -- but, I mean, on average)

Pat

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
This is a necropost and the op's last login was over a year ago. but as Pat said it depends on your area - for the most part a pool is a 99% liability and is nothing but a hole in the ground to throw your money. Unlike a boat which is a hole in the water to throw your money in.

Unless you have the big money to put in a nice in-ground with all the accompaniments along with maintenance it is only a detractor on any upcoming house sale or insurance. People like the thought of them until they find out it costs $1000 a swim.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score

Latest posts