Pork prices to soar

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh yea here we go again.
news says pork is going to rise. by 2013 there will be a shortage of hogs. farmers/drought/feed prices etc all effecting availability of pork.

good thing we farmers can easily raise a hog. I sure raised thousands over the years :lol:

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Unfortunately, DH can't eat anything from a pig...it makes him deathly ill :( I like pork though, so I may get some and can it in 1/2 pint jars...just for me. When we get to a place where we can have more critters than just our 6 chickens, I hope to be able to raise a weanling...not that we can use much of it, but I figure we can use it to eat lots of stuff that would otherwise go to waste, and then sell or trade it later on.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am so gonna use some of the holiday fund to buy up some bacon!!!!!!!!!

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My two are going to "Freezer Camp" soon. I already paid for them with feed and work! Feed is $11/bag and I've used about 20 bags already.
Feeding them twice a day cramps your style if you are employed away from home though. No vacations either.
Trim sends
//BT//

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sure glad I got mine already. We buy 1 from the 4 H kids every year and though its not the cheapest pork it helps out the kids and the quality is far better than factory farmed pork.

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
My two are going to "Freezer Camp" soon. I already paid for them with feed and work! Feed is $11/bag and I've used about 20 bags already.
Feeding them twice a day cramps your style if you are employed away from home though. No vacations either.
Trim sends
//BT//
Wish I had your feed prices. Wheat is 17.50 bag and peas are 15.00 and going up plus getting harder to find as well. I have 8 pigs in the freezers for sale, and 2 litters expected end of Oct. Its worrying me to keep the next lot over the winter with the cost of feed, and hay for bedding is even more dear. No one wants piglets in the fall, so its catch 22.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Glad I have a porker ready for the butcher! That should get us through until the little ones are big enough. I get free feed usually, from a few different places, so not too worried about the feed costs. I LOVE being prepared! :)

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I grind my feed into chop and mix it with raw milk. Sometimes the milk is clabbered if I have too much to feed right away and it has been sitting for a few days.