Pork prices to soar

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Pork is on sale now, so buy it now. $1.38/lb for roast, which I can handle. The bacon is the ridiculous part, at $10/3lbs. I'm hoping that the hams go on a good discount for the holidays, so I can grab up a bunch of that. Other than that, I really want some lard. What's left after cooking bacon is simply not enough for all of my cooking needs. One thing though, since I've never used straight up lard, does it taste like bacon lard, or is it rather bland?
This may not work but, you can see if you can acquire pork fat from a nearby butcher. Then you can render it yourself.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Pork is on sale now, so buy it now. $1.38/lb for roast, which I can handle. The bacon is the ridiculous part, at $10/3lbs. I'm hoping that the hams go on a good discount for the holidays, so I can grab up a bunch of that. Other than that, I really want some lard. What's left after cooking bacon is simply not enough for all of my cooking needs. One thing though, since I've never used straight up lard, does it taste like bacon lard, or is it rather bland?
No bacon or pork flavor, bland like shortening.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Our bacon grease is so smooth and creamy that I've been using it as lip balm while cooking :) I had to tackle DH for a kiss when he found out what was on my lips :)

Glad we have 2 hogs this year. We got completely away from eating pork when DH's family no longer raised it. Last year had 1 hog and loved it so much that we
got 2 this year. They fattened up on a bit of grain and up to 50 lb/day of vegetable and fruits scraps from my operation. One hog left to be killed. They yield the
BEST bacon and sausage I have ever eaten. This year DH invested in a large smoker and did enormous hams, too!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I so agree Me&thegals

funny about tackling hubby :lol:

one thing from a hog is sausage. there is NO comparison from fresh sausage to store. Hands down nothing beats fresh. Sausage is a biggie in this family. YUMMY

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I so agree Me&thegals

funny about tackling hubby :lol:

one thing from a hog is sausage. there is NO comparison from fresh sausage to store. Hands down nothing beats fresh. Sausage is a biggie in this family. YUMMY
I just made my first ever breakfast sausage with my new grinder yesterday and the flavor is something else!( now I wanna raise my own sausage lol )
And if you do pick up lard to render your own you could try salting and smoking just a bit of it and then rendering it down it would taste like bacon grease without the meat.
I have had a cured lard but I can not remember the name of of it.. they cure it with salts and then slice it thin and fry it and put it on sandwiches(my grandmother loved it) but it was made from the layer of fat just under the skin.
I am hoping to buy up some leaf lard for rendering down as I am almost out right now. the leaf lard is not as "porky" and makes killer pie crust and biscuits and it really does make the right flavor for flour and corn tortillas.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pirtykitty said:
Hmmm my two son's go wild hog hunting at their dad's farm in Purdon, Texas. Chet my 23 year old has mentioned in the past that he has someone make sausage with it.. I'll have to ask him fro some to try and also see if he gets any bacon from it too.. I wonder how wild hog tastes. not sure if they make sure of the whole hog or just the back strap..
Wild hog is not the white anemic stuff that passes for pork in the store. It is dark meat. I use the whole hog to make sausage. I just cut off the bone and run it through my grinder. A wild hog will yield shoulders, hams, backstrap and ribs. I never have got bacon from a wild hog. Not much fat on a wild hog, usually have to add grease in the pan to fry the pan sausage. My son said he would bring me deer and hog for me to make sausage on the halves. I am OK with that! Sausage that cost me seasonings and casing? Bring it on!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
baymule said:
Pirtykitty said:
Hmmm my two son's go wild hog hunting at their dad's farm in Purdon, Texas. Chet my 23 year old has mentioned in the past that he has someone make sausage with it.. I'll have to ask him fro some to try and also see if he gets any bacon from it too.. I wonder how wild hog tastes. not sure if they make sure of the whole hog or just the back strap..
Wild hog is not the white anemic stuff that passes for pork in the store. It is dark meat. I use the whole hog to make sausage. I just cut off the bone and run it through my grinder. A wild hog will yield shoulders, hams, backstrap and ribs. I never have got bacon from a wild hog. Not much fat on a wild hog, usually have to add grease in the pan to fry the pan sausage. My son said he would bring me deer and hog for me to make sausage on the halves. I am OK with that! Sausage that cost me seasonings and casing? Bring it on!
I still remember the taste of a wild boar my uncle killed when I was a small child, it was that good!

Latest posts